Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ever hate yourself after killing a deer? >

Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?

Old 12-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
That's a pretty neat setup for that type of short range hunting up where you are! My eyes are so screwed up as I get older (20/400 without glasses and about 20/40 with) that I can't use anything but a scoped rifle. When the distances start increasing it's getting tougher every year out there even with the good Leupold scopes I have on everything. One of these years the Doc says I'm going to need cornea transplants and I also have cataracts in both eyes that thankfully have not enlarged over the last few years. If they do, I would also have to have surgery for those. Thank God the rest of my body is in the shape of a much younger person and I can still walk all day out there if needed.
When you get the corneal transplants spend the extra money and get the vision correction ones that are sometimes available depending on your eye issues. My mother had them and she can see very well without gasses. I wore glasses from the time I was around 25 until 6 years ago at 58 when I finally had the Lasik. Like you I am in pretty good shape for my age. Hunting and fishing keeps me young is my theory. I got that gun about 20 yars ago after talking with the whitetail hunting experts the Benoits at a seminar. Back then I was into Maine hunting pretty heavily and that set up is very well suited for the thick, tight shooting that the swamps and bogs of northern New England offer. Instead of hunting the mid west this next year I might try the big woods of the Adarondacks and will break out that carbine again.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-14-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I agree with that Topgun. I can still see well at distance due to Lasik but don't ask me to read off a menue without reading glasses. Strange as it may be I can still shoot well through iron sights but I have to paint them for a contrast. Here is one that I use once in a while when in the big woods like Maine or northern NH and Vt. it is a 7600 aught 6 with a Williams peep and a firedot front sight. Still can pick that up especially when it is aimed a big dark brown deer running through the snow. I always use a scoped gun out west though.

Nice gun, what chambering is it? I have a 270 like that, I dont shoot it much, its to pretty. I have a leupold VX-III 3.5-10 on mine
Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

"You have a very weird sense of humor if you think anything in this thread is funny!!!"
Seriously, what's not funny about this, everyone battling back and forth about something so ridiculous. Thats funny
Old 12-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Dominant Buck

It is a Remi 7600 in 30-06 and is the carbine. I bought it knowing I was going to set up a light weight brush gun for the northern big woods. It is very maneuverable and a pleasure to carry when one is still hunting the bogs and swamps of the paper company lands. Most of the famous Benoit clan used a similar gun in years past so I figured if it worked for them it would be great for me. I like to track in the snow and will often cover several miles in a day when hunting suitable land like paper company. The problem I found when I brought it home and fitted the peep sight on was that the stock had a raised comb as it was intended for a scope mount. I called the factory and had a shotgun stock shipped in a matching finish and installed that. Now when I pull the gun up my eye is looking right through the peep and it is fast and accurate to shoot.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

"With that load, to be 12 inches high at 100 yards, you would be need to sight in to be aprox. 2.111 inches high at 25 yards.
According to my calculator, zrex.. is right.
The set up is with the center of the scope 1.5 inches above the barrel.
Think about it. In the scant distance of 25 yards the bullet traveling at 2808 fps is going from -1.5 inches low to about 2 inches high."

How does that make him right and where do you get a -1.5" until the bullet is way out there past it's peak and starts dropping? What is that - 1.5" in reference to? See my post above and look at the chart in that link I provided. From what you have posted it would appear to support exactly what I and a number of others have stated. The bullet may start out 1.5" below the level of the scope as it leaves the muzzle if that's what you're talking about, but it appears your post is exactly what I stated. It shows you have to be over 1/2" high at 25 yards to hit about 6" high at 100 and he's saying his gun was on zero at 25 yards and it resulted in him being 12" high at 100 yards. Therefore, he claims he had to be at a negative number at 25 yards to be zeroed at 100 yards. I still say no way and it appears your ballistics calculations show that! Please, what am I missing here when you have then stated that to be 12" high at 100 you would have to be over 2" high at 25, not a - figure like he stated?
without knowing where a gun hits at 25yds with a 100 yd zero were all guessing, without knowing his scope height were guessing again. if he had shoot through rings that could mean a 3inch scope height and if he miscalculated 20 yds for 25 yds is a big difference too, crunch the numbers on a 25 yd zero with 3inch scope rings
7 inches high at 100 yds a 20yd zero would be 10 inches high

1.5 scope height is pretty low
Old 12-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have also heard a lot of people say 2 high at 25 yds puts you dead on at 100
Old 12-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can continue posting all you want, but the scenario that started this was that the rifle was dead on (zeroed) at 25 yards and that resulted in the rifle shooting 12" high at 100 yards. There is no way that is going to happen in just 75 yards in any type of normal scope setup for any caliber in a hunting rifle unless something is drastically screwed up, including the shooter---end of discussion!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-14-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
i have also heard a lot of people say 2 high at 25 yds puts you dead on at 100
That would be a stretch with any 30 cal but it might work out with a shotgun slug.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can continue posting all you want, but the scenario that started this was that the rifle was dead on (zeroed) at 25 yards and that resulted in the rifle shooting 12" high at 100 yards. There is no way that is going to happen in just 75 yards in any type of normal scope setup for any caliber in a hunting rifle---end of discussion!!!
an ar with a carry handle will do that
Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

"an ar with a carry handle will do that"

Do you call that a normal hunting setup which we keep talking about for God's sake, LOL! It's obvious you aren't going to admit you're wrong, so keep right on with your baloney!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.