Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My first buck

Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Spike

Default My first buck

Ok ok I know its nothing special, but its my first buck.

I first hunted at age 14 with my uncle. Between the ages of 14-20 I hunted a few years and took a couple does over that time. Then I joined the Army and never had private land to hunt and being a beginner I was too nervous to hunt public land. We just recently got moved to WV for the Army and were lucky enough to find a house on 88 acres so I decided to give it another shot. I spent lots of time scouting deer and trying to figure out their patterns. I had been watching a nice 8 point on camera for a few weeks and he was definitely my goal.

Opening morning of gun season I was too excited to sleep and got to the stand a little earlier than I planned. I ended up being in the stand about an hour before day light. It was great watching the woods come to life as the sun came out though. Almost instantly I had deer all over me. I was having a hard time telling where deer were coming from because there were squirrels everywhere. As I was watching a bunch of does and a small buck feeding in front of me I decided to grab my 270 in case the 8 point made an appearance. The tree I was in had me hidden from the feeding deer so I wasnt too worried about them seeing me. Sure enough, as soon as I moved I hear crashing and deer running from behind me. I look back just in time to see the 8 point showing me his white flag. OOOPS!

All this commotion scared the deer that were feeding and they started to scatter. Im still not sure why, but at that point I decided that if the small buck(Im still not sure if its a 3, 4 or 5 point...not that it matters) gave me a shot I was taking it. He was walking straight away, but at 100 yards he turned to look back towards me and gave me a good almost broadside shot. I took the shot and he was down in less than 20 feet. Very excited about this deer even though he isnt a wall hanger, its still my first buck.

Im still seeing the 8 point on camera, so I hope he makes it to next year...
Attached Thumbnails My first buck-2012-11-19_08-03-29_1842.jpg   My first buck-imag01552.jpg  
Old 11-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Spike

I say Hurricane, everyone tells me its Hurri-kin...LOL

Putnam county
Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

congrats on the buck, its a great trophy and something to be proud of. The big ones will come with time.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job man....every first buck IS special! Congrats
Old 11-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with that buck. The 8 point will give you something to get back in the stand for.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Spike

nice deer man, id hang it on the wall! hope that 8 pt. comes back around for ya!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

You'll always remember the first one.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

Nice first buck! My first was a little forkhorn
Old 12-01-2012, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for your service. Congrats on your buck! Let that 8 go another year and he'll be a whopper. Good luck.

VA
Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats! That's a good first buck. You may shoot a monster one day, a lot in between that you may forget the details, but you always remember your first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.