HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Finally got my first deer.... Mixed emotion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/375905-finally-got-my-first-deer-mixed-emotion.html)

joker80p 11-29-2012 02:26 PM

Finally got my first deer.... Mixed emotion

4th year of hunting I finally shoot a deer and I realize I need more time in the stand observing so I can judge size. While I got my first it's not very big and I thought at first it was a doe. Ended up being a button buck I shot from my ladder stand at about40-45 yards with my 12 gauge.

gjersy 11-29-2012 03:05 PM

Awesome u got a clean 1st kill, 1st deer is magical. You have to start somewhere u did good and put some meat in the freezer.

VAhuntr 11-29-2012 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by joker80p (Post 4010433)
4th year of hunting I finally shoot a deer and I realize I need more time in the stand observing so I can judge size. While I got my first it's not very big and I thought at first it was a doe. Ended up being a button buck I shot from my ladder stand at about40-45 yards with my 12 gauge.

My first deer was a button buck and my son's first deer a couple years ago was a button head. Nothing wrong with that so don't be too hard on yourself. Now you can concentrate on getting a larger buck or mature doe.

Here is what I do to keep from shooting button heads. I don't shoot small deer that are by themselves, unless I can get a good look at the top of it's head. I have found many times these are button heads and it can be hard to tell during low light, even with a scoped rifle.

early in 11-29-2012 03:20 PM

Congrats on your first deer! You'll never forget that day. :happy0001:

MD DEERHUNTER 11-29-2012 03:21 PM

When you're sitting 20-30 feet up in your stand, sometimes it hard to judge a button buck from a doe. I've done it myself. But, it's deer meat for the freezer.

WrackMaster 11-29-2012 03:21 PM

Congrats, man!

That's how a lot of us started out.

My niece got her first this year and it was a nubbin.

Good for you!

Palehorse 11-29-2012 03:44 PM

Congrats on your first deer! Size or age is perfect for meat; consider that most of the livestock we purpose raise for food are killed at well under a year of age because they provide better quality meat.

joker80p 11-29-2012 03:46 PM

Thanks guys it's nice to have gotten that first one. It sure was a rush and great feeling to see that deer go down. Im not so mad it being a button buck as much as its a lot smaller than I thought it was. I was going to post a picture but I don't want to get flamed

skinnnner 11-29-2012 03:49 PM

Congrats on the buck!any first deer is a trophy the rest comes in time.

lonewolf1990 11-29-2012 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by joker80p (Post 4010468)
Thanks guys it's nice to have gotten that first one. It sure was a rush and great feeling to see that deer go down. Im not so mad it being a button buck as much as its a lot smaller than I thought it was. I was going to post a picture but I don't want to get flamed

congrats on your first deer and you should be proud and post the pics screw the people who get pissed