Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Would You Have Done???

Old 11-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up! You made the right call! I can only imagine how happy that boy was when it was loaded in the back of the truck. Good luck on your next hunt.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

I would have given the kid the deer, under the stipulation that he would have to gut it himself (not his old man).

Last edited by Uncle Nicky; 11-30-2012 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Spike

As long as that kid's dad wasn't a jerk I probably would have done the same thing.

Hopefully one day that kid will remember how nice you were to him and "pay it forward" in a similar fashion. I hope he understands he needs to practice more though!

Even though I got a good kill shot on my first buck, if I had to watch my dad get in an argument with another hunter over it I would have been pretty upset.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Thunderchicken217
Yea not real sure I would have given it to him myself having had the same thing happen to me 25 yrs ago when I was 12 and the deer wasnt given to me and glad now it wasnt. Don't get me wrong it was an incredibly nice thing to do but now here is a kid with a really nice buck that for all intents and purposes he did not kill. He may mount the deer and for yrs to come tell people about this deer he killed which he never did. Just not sure it is sending the right message no matter how kind of an act it was. I know losing my 1st deer to another hunter because of my own bad shot was well worth it as it made me practice a whole lot more the following season. This was back in Md when rifle season was 1 week long and you were aloud 1 buck and that was it unless you were lucky enough in those days to draw a doe tag. I had an entire yr to think about it and made damn sure come next yr I wouldnt miss. Anyhow good for you and it was a real nice thing to do but still torn if its sending the right type of message.
Great post. I agree with your thinking. I too, had a nice 8pt taken by an adult when I first started hunting (1974. I actually reminisce that morning on occasion, even to this day.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
well main reason I'd give it to the kid is to keep from haftin to gut a gut shot dogged buck.
RR

+1 you did good.

I hate field dressing a gut shot deer.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Spike

Since it didnt go through and through sounds like he shot him with a .243. If he hit him square in the gut area it probably destroyed everything inside that deer and would have been fatal anyways. Also who field dresses deer these days? Thats what processing plants are for. I just toss them in the trunk of my cadillac like some snitch a wiseguy just offed and drive them 10 miles to be processed. Well also because I have no clue how to do it anyways and they wont acept field dressed deer. And since I dont know how to make sausage, hamburger, and cube steak from a deer carcass I pay someone else to do it.

Last edited by Cypress32; 11-29-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

If it was an average 8 I would have gave it to him and gave a little lecture to remember that you have a responsibility to take a good shot and how he made the deer suffer for 2 hours, etc.. etc...

If it was a monster 8 I would have taken some pics of him with it and e-mailed them to him, and the lecture would have been the same with a slightly different ending, lol.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

thats a great thing you did as it shows there are still good people out there and I hope thats the lesson the kid learned. I would have done the same.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cypress32
Since it didnt go through and through sounds like he shot him with a .243. If he hit him square in the gut area it probably destroyed everything inside that deer and would have been fatal anyways. Also who field dresses deer these days? Thats what processing plants are for. I just toss them in the trunk of my cadillac like some snitch a wiseguy just offed and drive them 10 miles to be processed. Well also because I have no clue how to do it anyways and they wont acept field dressed deer. And since I dont know how to make sausage, hamburger, and cube steak from a deer carcass I pay someone else to do it.

Everyone I know and hunt with field dress their own deer. Sometimes it is done in the "field" and other times we do it at our club skinning shed. I then take mine to the processor.....who by the way charges an extra fee if the deer is NOT gutted. I want to gut my own deer because I know it was done right and all entrails were removed.

To the original poster: You did a good thing, IMO.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

I think you did the right thing.good for you.if you would have kept it how would you have felt about it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.