HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How do you hunt when its full moon? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/375864-how-do-you-hunt-when-its-full-moon.html)

Cypress32 11-28-2012 11:34 AM

How do you hunt when its full moon?

I have tried google white tail hunting and full moon and tried every single thing they mentioned over the last few years but full moon seems to be my kryptonite. Even when I have one fall on the first week of the season when there hasnt been hardly any pressure yet I still see nothing.

I have heard they only walk during the day so I pack a lunch and hunt tree lines all day and still see nothing. I have heard they walk all night feeding so I hunt bedding areas in the morning trying to cacth one coming back from feeding. That doesnt work either. Everything on the internet just contridicts what other people say so should I just say hell with it and hunt like I normally do? Or do deer actually change their patterns with the moon?

When its a full moon and assuming normal hunting conditions how do ya'll hunt? Do you just hunt like any other time or do you actually change where you hunt or what times you hunt?

MD DEERHUNTER 11-28-2012 01:28 PM

Regardless of what kind of moon it is I get in the woods early as possible and stay late as possible. But, the last full moon I hunted on which was early muzzleloader season I saw a 6-point buck right at 12:00PM.

Cypress32 11-28-2012 02:22 PM

I think they are coming out too late Im gonna have to only hunt mornings. Had one come out to my 4-wheeler right before dark. He blew at it but didnt seem to alarmed and just walked back into the woods and I could hear him feeding and eventually he just walked back towards a known bedding area behind me. I swear thats deer #4 at this same stand thats come up to my 4wheeer. I outta just bathe in cover scent and sit on the damn thing with some buckshot. Its probably that same big 8 pointer because he isnt bothered one bit by it. Usually he just gives it a little blow but I never hear him running off until Im getting out of the stand and sometimes not even until Im almost back to it. Hell I outta put antlers from a previous kill on the seat facing the woods where he comes out, spray my 4-wheeler with some dominant buck and see if I can hear him ram it. Then when he knocks himself out finish him off with my .45

Will try same stand tomorrow morning before class. Had pics last week of a 6 pointer I let walk at the end of last year's season. Seems hes a nice 8 now and only likes feeding in the mornings just like he did last year and only started showing up in late November. He had a friend with him, another nice 6 but havent seen him yet. Hope no one got him cause he should be nice as well and with rut over they should be hanging out together again.

not the dogs 11-28-2012 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cypress32 (Post 4009959)
I have tried google white tail hunting and full moon and tried every single thing they mentioned over the last few years but full moon seems to be my kryptonite. Even when I have one fall on the first week of the season when there hasnt been hardly any pressure yet I still see nothing.

I have heard they only walk during the day so I pack a lunch and hunt tree lines all day and still see nothing. I have heard they walk all night feeding so I hunt bedding areas in the morning trying to cacth one coming back from feeding. That doesnt work either. Everything on the internet just contridicts what other people say so should I just say hell with it and hunt like I normally do? Or do deer actually change their patterns with the moon?

When its a full moon and assuming normal hunting conditions how do ya'll hunt? Do you just hunt like any other time or do you actually change where you hunt or what times you hunt?

If you find out please let me know. I've done the same with no luck.

Jim Burns 11-28-2012 03:10 PM

I have found hunting to be poor on a full moon with deer and bear. I beleive they feed all night during a full moon and move very little during the day. But that is just my opinion.

VAhuntr 11-28-2012 03:57 PM

I saw quite a bit of deer movement between 11:30 and 12:30 on Monday even though it was not quite a full moon. It has been my experience deer will move 5 or 6 hours after sunrise during a full moon. The hard part is they don't seem to move far and you have got to be in the right place when they do.

Cypress32 11-29-2012 01:33 AM

Just hit the field by my house with my spot light they all over the place. Gonna hunt a stand thats has food+cover. Also its 30 outside. Dont know if deer like moving very far in the cold so this stand should be perfect as the food is only like 25-50 feet from where they bed down.

Wayspr 11-29-2012 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cypress32 (Post 4010013)
Had one come out to my 4-wheeler right before dark. He blew at it but didnt seem to alarmed and just walked back into the woods and I could hear him feeding and eventually he just walked back towards a known bedding area behind me. I swear thats deer #4 at this same stand thats come up to my 4wheeer.

If you can hear a deer by your bike you're parking too close to your stand. Try parking farther away walking in.

Valentine 11-29-2012 03:49 AM

The Theory of When to hunt deer

I think a lot of theories on when to hunt are really theories on when not to hunt. Somebody always was looking for a reason for not spending time in the woods, during the downtime. The time when absolutely nothing was seen. And that takes too much endurance for some.
I never shot a deer when I absolutely expected it to cross my path. I harvested them early; harvested them late.

Much of the time I was in the middle of nowhere for me, so it was hunting from dawn to dusk, with no break from the woods. That terrible habit of mine meant harvesting a deer in the middle of the day, when deer aren't "suppose" to travel.

VAhuntr 11-29-2012 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4010073)
hunt 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM, thats my primetime.
RR

Gonna give that a try today. Get my son off to school and head to the woods!

Cypress32 11-29-2012 04:05 AM

Awesome just missed deer #7 in a row. How the hell you miss a 150-160lb buck at 35 yards when hes broadside is beyond me. I give up. Im just gonna take that damn scope off and shoot through the iron sights.

Also I cant park my 4wheeler back any firther as they come out along that entire tree line. Better thing would probably be to just park it in front of my stand because the tall grass in front of me will block any deer that go to my food plot from seeing it.

Buckyou 11-29-2012 04:30 AM

Socrates DeLa Valentino !

Are you going to shoot one on your couch. NO. But the question was when to hunt during the full moon.

I hunt nearly everyday different times, and I haven't seen jack in a week ! I always see something in my honey hole, but this week ZIPPO.

Now all the leaves have fell, most acorns are eaten.......seems they are at another local spot. A mile away is some fresh cut corn fields. Private though.

Sucks.

Full Moons....looking back never really got my deer jumping during the day, but the Blue Moon we just had I did see some chasing , and I missed a bow 8pt. ALWAYS is a lull after the 15-19th of November.
Usually lasts 10-14 days ! who knows:confused0024:

Cypress32 11-29-2012 03:41 PM

Seems mornings are better. I was covered up in them this morning and didnt see a damn thing tonight. Hope it freezes again tonight I want another shot at that buck I missed this morning. Threw my .243 in the scrap heap and brought out the .270 Time to shoot a real gun.

croc2116 11-30-2012 03:23 AM

Hi I have read its good hunting 3 days before or after full moon. With that info I went out on Wednesday (night of full moon) and had an encounter with the biggest buck I have ever seen out of a stand. I guess you just have to be in the right spot. Buck wouldnt walk into my shooting lanes though, lol.

Mojotex 11-30-2012 05:30 AM

The same way I hunt any day.

I am sort of like Valentine in my approach and experience. Years ago my No.1 hunting bussy and I collected data trying to correlate deer movement an moon phases. Unscientific I admit. But it was 3 seasons worth. We found little or no correlation to moon phase and found that day time deer movement depended more upon the weather and for bucks .... if/if not the does were in heat. The only trend we saw associated with the moon, and it was weak at best, was if it was a full moon and cold, clear night sky .... movement tended to be later into the day. But that was about it.

If I ever figure out when the deer will pass within shooting range and from what direction, I'll get a whole lot more sleep and my butt won't ache as much and I'll not be "busted" so often. Meanwhile I'll go often, stay long and play the wind.

Buckyou 11-30-2012 08:46 AM

well if it is any use...... I posted my thoughts the other day on this subject......low and behold.....I was staring out my window to the woods where my tree stand is, and at 11:00 this a.m. a nice buck was chasing a doe hard !
Taking care of some loose ends, and off to kill the bag o bones !

wish me luck ! I need it !:woot:

halfbakedi420 11-30-2012 12:38 PM

i think the deer stay up late at night cause they can see better when the moon if full. sleep in the next day like its their day off per say..new moon, the morning after the darkest night, the deer come out earlier cause i think they layed down earlier the night before cause its hard for even them to see. i never talked to a deer though.(and got an answer anyway)

the blur 11-30-2012 03:42 PM

I'm interested in the official answer. I thought the deer go nocturnal during a full moon. But that is just hearsay from reading the internet.