Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How do you hunt when its full moon? >

How do you hunt when its full moon?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you hunt when its full moon?

Old 11-29-2012, 04:05 AM
Spike

Awesome just missed deer #7 in a row. How the hell you miss a 150-160lb buck at 35 yards when hes broadside is beyond me. I give up. Im just gonna take that damn scope off and shoot through the iron sights.

Also I cant park my 4wheeler back any firther as they come out along that entire tree line. Better thing would probably be to just park it in front of my stand because the tall grass in front of me will block any deer that go to my food plot from seeing it.

Last edited by Cypress32; 11-29-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

Socrates DeLa Valentino !

Are you going to shoot one on your couch. NO. But the question was when to hunt during the full moon.

I hunt nearly everyday different times, and I haven't seen jack in a week ! I always see something in my honey hole, but this week ZIPPO.

Now all the leaves have fell, most acorns are eaten.......seems they are at another local spot. A mile away is some fresh cut corn fields. Private though.

Sucks.

Full Moons....looking back never really got my deer jumping during the day, but the Blue Moon we just had I did see some chasing , and I missed a bow 8pt. ALWAYS is a lull after the 15-19th of November.
Usually lasts 10-14 days ! who knows
Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Spike

Seems mornings are better. I was covered up in them this morning and didnt see a damn thing tonight. Hope it freezes again tonight I want another shot at that buck I missed this morning. Threw my .243 in the scrap heap and brought out the .270 Time to shoot a real gun.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 AM
Fork Horn

Hi I have read its good hunting 3 days before or after full moon. With that info I went out on Wednesday (night of full moon) and had an encounter with the biggest buck I have ever seen out of a stand. I guess you just have to be in the right spot. Buck wouldnt walk into my shooting lanes though, lol.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The same way I hunt any day.

I am sort of like Valentine in my approach and experience. Years ago my No.1 hunting bussy and I collected data trying to correlate deer movement an moon phases. Unscientific I admit. But it was 3 seasons worth. We found little or no correlation to moon phase and found that day time deer movement depended more upon the weather and for bucks .... if/if not the does were in heat. The only trend we saw associated with the moon, and it was weak at best, was if it was a full moon and cold, clear night sky .... movement tended to be later into the day. But that was about it.

If I ever figure out when the deer will pass within shooting range and from what direction, I'll get a whole lot more sleep and my butt won't ache as much and I'll not be "busted" so often. Meanwhile I'll go often, stay long and play the wind.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

well if it is any use...... I posted my thoughts the other day on this subject......low and behold.....I was staring out my window to the woods where my tree stand is, and at 11:00 this a.m. a nice buck was chasing a doe hard !
Taking care of some loose ends, and off to kill the bag o bones !

wish me luck ! I need it !
Old 11-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think the deer stay up late at night cause they can see better when the moon if full. sleep in the next day like its their day off per say..new moon, the morning after the darkest night, the deer come out earlier cause i think they layed down earlier the night before cause its hard for even them to see. i never talked to a deer though.(and got an answer anyway)
Old 11-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

I'm interested in the official answer. I thought the deer go nocturnal during a full moon. But that is just hearsay from reading the internet.