Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How can I tell if what Im hearing is a deer? >

How can I tell if what Im hearing is a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How can I tell if what Im hearing is a deer?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

NCHawkeye and VAHunter are spot-on.
Get in tune with the place(s) you hunt.

Learn the animals' timing, their patterns. Listen to a deer ghosting and one that is searching for a doe. Listen to when the woods wakes up, when it is quiet, when the squirrels come out to chatter. Learn when tweety-birds flit by and squeak at each other.

Only when you know why will you know when and how to look for your prey.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

In low wind, low background noise environments, discerning sounds it fairly easy.

Squirrels clamber over leaves and tree matter in stop start fashion, making very high frequency leaf noise, and random claw, branch clatter on trees/limbs.

Deer feet contact load bearing strata on the ground, whereas squirrels are easily support by leaves. Sounds that are staccato ending with low frequencies indicate foot falls of deer and other hooved animals (I have encountered horses, burros and cattle many times in the woods). Coyotes and bobcats are far quieter than deer.

Turkeys, en masse, make an almost constant leaf noise, not dissimiliar to beech leaves in a 10 mph wind.

Quadruped animals typically make a cadenced sound (walk, trot, canter) unless browsing, stalking, scent trailing, etc.

I hunt on the ground, or still hunt. It's is easier to hear than up in a stand, but then you can usually see better in a stand.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Spike

My favorite noise is when about 25 of my turkeys come off the roost all at once around5:30 AM. And I about **** myself. I have one stand that sometimes they roost behind, but not very often so I usually forget they might be there. That is until they decide its time to wake up and scare the piss out of me. Most of my birds are 20-25 pounds so imagine 20+ of them coming down at once not 10 yards behind you when you arent expecting it.