Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever been told no?

Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by emoffit
So, maybe I should just resort to public land. The only private land I have access to is around 100 yds X 500 yds.

I'll accept some of the blame, but not all of it. I'd never have guessed that he'd be such a jerk about it.
Here is an idea - maybe you talk to the bordering landowners before hunting season and reach an agreement on how all parties will handle mutual recovery rights. All part of being a good neighbor and demonstrating the respect you would like to have returned. Especially important when hunting the borders of small properties.

Recreational hunting rights should never trump the rights of property owners.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like hunting with different weapons as it is challenging...Certain areas I hunt are either too thick or swampy for good tracking jobs so I limit myself to my .243 when in that situation...You can drop a deer on the spot with a high shoulder shot, especially with a scoped shotgun and slugs or a high power rifle...Sounds like this is the proper weapon for this area in the future...
Old 11-28-2012, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

first off I would NOT break the law and risk a trespassing and even poaching ticket, thats permanently on your record for a deer

yes, it sucks, but I've had it happen to me, same scenario only with a bow . Mortally wounded deer, probably a few yards into the corn, farmer/landowner told me and DNR no. Too bad but unfortunately it happens.

I'd work on the guy though. Go to him in the offseason and tell him you feel bad about wasting deer, ask him if he likes venison ? or summer sausage. Maybe suggest if he hates deer so much you'll gladly rid his property of them if he lets you hunt , worth a try. Or offer him summer sausage or part/half the deer you have to retrieve off his property in the future.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I like hunting with different weapons as it is challenging...Certain areas I hunt are either too thick or swampy for good tracking jobs so I limit myself to my .243 when in that situation...You can drop a deer on the spot with a high shoulder shot, especially with a scoped shotgun and slugs or a high power rifle...Sounds like this is the proper weapon for this area in the future...

SOUND advise, this is what I do while gun hunting, try to take that high shot, no tracking involved
Old 11-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
you shot a dear 60 yds from a border you dont have access to.
and your blaming the land owner for wasting the deer?
You shot the deer, you wasted the deer, no one to blame but yourself,
what you can do is try to avoid that from happening in the future,
by like hunting further than 60 yds from property you dont have permission to enter.
I guess you never shot a deer and had it keep on going. Must be nice to be the best hunter in the woods who makes the best shot at ta deer that it will not travel anywhere. Guess when you are infallible you can criticize everyone else. Hope I am never in the woods with you.

Yes blame the land owner and I would have went and gotten the deer anyway especially if I knew where it was at. Let the landowner call anyone he wants.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

I also would report a shot deer to DNR and claim the other guy had an unreported dead deer on his property. DNR would have to investigate.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Money talks... offer him $50 or $100 bucks to go retrieve it. I ran into this situation twice the one guy said no because he didn't want me tromping through his hunting area. I gave him $50 and he came with me to ensure i wasn't peein/ spitting all over the place. The other guy said no... and was later found to be growing pot on his property. This could very well be the case here. Most of the time people who are that adimant about keeping people off their land even to track a deer are hiding something...

But in the end if you know you have an a**hole neighbor it may be better to ask for forgivness rather than permission.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
I guess you never shot a deer and had it keep on going. Must be nice to be the best hunter in the woods who makes the best shot at ta deer that it will not travel anywhere. Guess when you are infallible you can criticize everyone else. Hope I am never in the woods with you.

Yes blame the land owner and I would have went and gotten the deer anyway especially if I knew where it was at. Let the landowner call anyone he wants.
I also would report a shot deer to DNR and claim the other guy had an unreported dead deer on his property. DNR would have to investigate.
Yes it does happen,
As a hunter one should try to minimize the chances of it happening, can't eliminate it, but one can take steps to minimize the risk.
1 thing one can do as previously mentioned is use a firearm that has a greater chance of downing that deer on the spot.
Another is picking your spots carefully, reducing risk of deer running onto land you don't have permission.

I have permission to chase game from 2 of 3 of my nbeighbors, 3 neighbor who owns 300 acres, I have spent past 7 years trying to track him down to contact him, and won't hunt anywhere near his border til I do.
One of my nbeighbors who I prevously had permission, recently passed away and I won't go near his border now until I get in contact with the new owner,
I will hunt state lands before I hunt close their borders,
What's too close will vary on location, and individual.
If you lose game, obviously too close in that situation.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

That's just taking a bad situation and making it worse.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
you shot a dear 60 yds from a border you dont have access to.
and your blaming the land owner for wasting the deer?
You shot the deer, you wasted the deer, no one to blame but yourself,
what you can do is try to avoid that from happening in the future,
by like hunting further than 60 yds from property you dont have permission to enter.
The OP stated that he shot it at 45yds THEN followed for ANOTHER 60yds, that give r take 105yds, not 60. And yes, pleez give the brother a break. IF he was within 60yds of the fence and shot towards the others side with intent to be hunting on his property, we don't know, he didn't say. I hunted a property like that but with my back to the others property for the deer came off theirs to mine. I never crossed the fence for any reason or shot towards it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.