Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Touchy subject

Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MD DEERHUNTER
So, I guess now we have to make special exceptions for all groups of people who had ancestors killed off?! WAKE UP AMERICA!!
just try and imagine halfbaked came into yer house, killed your whole family, threw em all in a pile like trash and burned them... then he says he discovered your house and its now his. that was your ancestors. i would ask how ya feel now, but some people cant even fathom such things, which is where i think you would be... the truth hurts. its an awful thing that will never be changed, cause its history.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
just try and imagine halfbaked came into yer house, killed your whole family, threw em all in a pile like trash and burned them... then he says he discovered your house and its now his. that was your ancestors. i would ask how ya feel now, but some people cant even fathom such things, which is where i think you would be... the truth hurts. its an awful thing that will never be changed, cause its history.
What does any of that have to do with hunting at night with modern technology? Your right that's terrible what THEY did, when that was going on my family was milking cows in Germany, so stop trying the guilt train. But that has little to do with people wanting to perform traditional hunting practices with modern equiptment... it just doesn't make sense. It's like the Tribe that is still allowed to hunt hump back whales using fully automatic weapons and sonar to catch them, at that point what is traditional about it anyway?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Night hunting is practised throughout the world, with the use of modern firearms, optics, lighting. European boar hunts are legal in several countries at night. Coyotes are routinely hunted at night in my state, as are raccoons.

The safety risks are more difficult to mediate, but there are tools available for night hunting.

I prefer to sleep when it is dark, but then 5-6 hours is about all I can take and I am up and about.

Last edited by Palehorse; 11-27-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Spike

The thing people often forget about "traditional hunting practices" and using modern technology is that in the old days, a loto of animals were wasted because the methods for killing them weren't that effectice (or at least AS effective as what we have today).

As an example, several years ago the Makah tribe in Washington state was allowed to go on a traditional whale hunt and take up to 5 whales. People went out of their minds when they realized that after harpooning the whale and before towing it to shore, they would finish it off with a high-powered rifle. But what people overlooked was the fact that in ancient times, they would lose 5-10 whales after they harpooned them for every one they were able to successfully get to shore - because they managed to get away even while wounded or sank.

I think the exercise of traditional hunting rights among natives has more to do with the meaningfulness of actually doing it (i.e. together, as a family or tribe, with support of their community, etc.) than what you "get" out of it in the end. I think a lot of times when we - as non-natives - criticize it - we're looking at it from the "he-gets-to-harvest-an-extra-X-and-I-don't" attitude. And that's not really the point of traditional hunts, anyway.

The Makah tribe was all about whaling, had historically been whalers, and had a culture and language designed around whales and whaling activities, so the fact that they actually killed a whale paled in comparison to what it meant to the tribe to be able simply have a whale hunt, get people involved in it, etc.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

sometimes you have to get over yourself and realize the ultimate price these peoples ancestors have paid....maybe if someone came in and killed almost all of yer ancestors off, killed all the animals and destroyed the land where your people once thrived, you might feel different. the fact you even get a tag every 7 years is a plus. just try and be thankful that our ancestors killed off as many native americans as possible...destroyed and killed all the wild buffalo just for fun...so you could get a tag every 7 years
doesnt sound all that awesome does it?
You got that right it was their ANCESTORS who suffered not these people. Do we let the Germans do anything they want because they were defeated. Better yet let's let the Greeks and Romans have public orgies as that is what they did before they were defeated. Oh yea and let us have human sacrifices as that is what many of the African and Caribean people used to do also. Where do you draw the line? Or should we let the ***anese still imprisoned thousands of people? I guess we can let them all do what they want no matter what the LAWS are. Sore Losers ! Bleeding heart liberals !!

Guess what the Indians were DEFEATED that means they were beaten by someone that was stronger than they were or had better equipment. Time to realize that when you are DEFEATED you lose. When you do not win you do not reap any benefits of those who did. Sorry but that is life in a nutshell. If they wanted to save all those things they should have fought harder and developed better
Old 11-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Better yet let's let the Greeks and Romans have public orgies as that is what they did before they were defeated
You may want to check your history before you start thumping your chest about how we're such a better civilization than others.

Our 200+ year-old civilization is still infantile compared to the 1300+ years that the Roman Empire was in existence. They built roads, aqueducts, conquered much of the known planet at the time, and were truly advanced for that age. The Greeks (800 years or so) had innumerable advances in art, mathematics, science, literature, and politics (ever hear of "democracy?").

"Bleeding heart liberals?" I don't see anything wrong with giving a sh&^ about other people or cultures. Please explain how that's such a huge problem?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Spike

its an awful thing that will never be changed, cause its history.
Its history and thats it. Things like this haven't been done in many years. These so called native INDIANS are not living in Teepees anymore nor are they being subject to the practices that were done by our ancestors. All they are doing is collecting from something horrible that happened how many years ago.?. Enough is a enough... I am truely sorry for what happened to there ancestors, however how long do we have to kiss there A$$. There are alot of other groups of people in this world that have suffered in history but I dont see them collecting in on these On-going benefits. I also think there ancestors would be sick to see traditional hunts being done with modern weapons.

I dont have a big post count like HalfBaked I mostly just come on here a read, but I read enough to personally in my opinion think that HalfBaked is an idiot. This is America. We are all equal. So we should all be held to the same standards.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck no it's not a touchy subject. If they want to do it on the res let them do it. If I can't do it on public land then they can't either even though they already do. I have a feeling this is going to turn into the spearing protests back in the 80's. It could turn ugly but I would hope most choose to stay out of it. There isn't any deer in WI anyway. I just believe we all should follow the same laws. thats it.

Last edited by deernutz; 11-27-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Spike

I am half Cherokee American Indian and I can't believe some things people are saying on this forum. I could say so many things and get everybody pissed off,but Im going to watch my tongue.I think your talking about the wrong nationality on most of this. We aren't the ones that think everyone should get everything for free. Do I think it's fair to let some people hunt at night and others not,nope. I don't and I don't think anybody else should either.
As far as rights go,I do believe the American Indian was here way before anybody else. My grandparents escaped off the reservation when they were 15 to get married and to get out of poverty. My family doesn't believe in getting checks from the government. We don't sign up for that,although it's out there . That's their own choice. I don't think being lied to and tricked was defeat. I think it was more of trusting the wrong people. The same people that they helped survive turned their backs on them. Am I bitter?Nope, not one bit. That's the way God has it written down.
I will get off my soap box now and move on. Life is too short to be bitter. I don't have time for that anyway!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Halfbaked I would have to disagree with you. It was not my ancestors they came over in the early 1900's. Don't quote me but I would have to say most of us fall in that same category.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.