HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Help settle an arguement (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/375758-help-settle-arguement.html)

MD DEERHUNTER 11-26-2012 06:06 AM

Help settle an arguement

Please help me settle an arguement between me and a buddy of mine. My friend thinks that the larger bucks will use the larger trees to rub their antlers on and the younger bucks will use the smaller trees. I think he's fricken crazy! Your thoughts???

mac266 11-26-2012 06:08 AM

I think he's crazy, too. It's been my observation that any buck will rub any tree in his territory.

halfbakedi420 11-26-2012 06:37 AM

i seen a big ol buck rubbin on the smallest sapling...another buddy of mine suggested that they are trying to get to the smaller places...i dunno, i never talked to a deer b4.

Buckyou 11-26-2012 06:41 AM

the answer is ............not worth the arguement........simply say I know you wrong, and there is no way to prove otherwise that your theory is correct .

My thought is anything that feels good to them they will rub. Kind of like me !

AquamanPSD 11-26-2012 07:18 AM

Well on one side of the coin sometime you can tell the size of the deer by the rub. If you see a tree that is almost as thick as a telephone pole you can be pretty sure that a spike didn't do that. But thats about the only thing you can tell. Some people say larger bucks prefer to rub on littler trees because they can really mess them up.

mr.mc54 11-26-2012 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by aquamanpsd (Post 4008810)
well on one side of the coin sometime you can tell the size of the deer by the rub. If you see a tree that is almost as thick as a telephone pole you can be pretty sure that a spike didn't do that. But thats about the only thing you can tell. Some people say larger bucks prefer to rub on littler trees because they can really mess them up.

also look for how high the rub is on the tree !

OhioNovice 11-26-2012 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by mr.mc54 (Post 4008817)
also look for how high the rub is on the tree !

Thats what Ive always gone by....

NebBuckHunter 11-26-2012 06:59 PM

Agreed with the telephone pole comment. But I've also seen big deer tear up small saplings. So you are both right.

browtine7 11-27-2012 08:54 AM

The height of the rub is all that I really look for

early in 11-27-2012 09:18 AM

I don't think the height of the rub is as important as it's made to sound. If you watch video of bucks rubbing, you'll most often see them lowering their heads to rub on trees and bushes. I think the size of the tree being rubbed is the best sign. Big bucks will rub small trees, but small bucks don't usually mess with big trees. jmo