Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help settle an arguement

Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Question Help settle an arguement

Please help me settle an arguement between me and a buddy of mine. My friend thinks that the larger bucks will use the larger trees to rub their antlers on and the younger bucks will use the smaller trees. I think he's fricken crazy! Your thoughts???
Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

I think he's crazy, too. It's been my observation that any buck will rub any tree in his territory.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

i seen a big ol buck rubbin on the smallest sapling...another buddy of mine suggested that they are trying to get to the smaller places...i dunno, i never talked to a deer b4.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

the answer is ............not worth the arguement........simply say I know you wrong, and there is no way to prove otherwise that your theory is correct .

My thought is anything that feels good to them they will rub. Kind of like me !
Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Well on one side of the coin sometime you can tell the size of the deer by the rub. If you see a tree that is almost as thick as a telephone pole you can be pretty sure that a spike didn't do that. But thats about the only thing you can tell. Some people say larger bucks prefer to rub on littler trees because they can really mess them up.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by aquamanpsd
well on one side of the coin sometime you can tell the size of the deer by the rub. If you see a tree that is almost as thick as a telephone pole you can be pretty sure that a spike didn't do that. But thats about the only thing you can tell. Some people say larger bucks prefer to rub on littler trees because they can really mess them up.
also look for how high the rub is on the tree !
Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
also look for how high the rub is on the tree !
Thats what Ive always gone by....
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Agreed with the telephone pole comment. But I've also seen big deer tear up small saplings. So you are both right.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

The height of the rub is all that I really look for
Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think the height of the rub is as important as it's made to sound. If you watch video of bucks rubbing, you'll most often see them lowering their heads to rub on trees and bushes. I think the size of the tree being rubbed is the best sign. Big bucks will rub small trees, but small bucks don't usually mess with big trees. jmo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.