Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dear Dog Hunters

Old 12-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Brewman in all honesty, why cant we hunt on sundays in va? I have heard cause its a day of peace and quiet? I would love sunday hunting with a bow only, that would be awesome. I love bowhunting and having the deer that close. I bow hunt until general firearms opens which is the 2nd weekend in nov. normally, then its on to dog hunting and i still go still hunting on my land but its only on weekdays or holidays.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

It doesnt have anything to do with the houndsmen. I have some friends that live in West Virginia, they also own property in north Idaho. They spend Idaho bear season at there Idaho home, when I am up there I hunt with these guys, they dont hunt on sundays either. Idaho you CAN hunt sundays but they dont, it is because of religious beliefs not because any law, the are from West Virginia and are very religious, that is the way they are.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...ay-hunting-ban

If you look into it most of the states in the bible belt dont allow hunting, its a religion thing!

Last edited by Jim Burns; 12-11-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

found this online and thought it was interesting but i think several are true, id like to hunt my own land on sunday and i work at a ford dealer m-f 7-5, i really only have the weekends to hunt also, like many other working men and women. But like i have read and heard, sunday hunting wouldnt last long cause the religious beliefs. What i believe is, if its legal dont get mad at it cause you dont do it!
http://www.virginiasundayhunting.org/

http://www.virginiasundayhunting.org...%2BReasons.pdf

Last edited by Ohboy; 12-11-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ohboy
Brewman in all honesty, why cant we hunt on sundays in va? I have heard cause its a day of peace and quiet? I would love sunday hunting with a bow only, that would be awesome. I love bowhunting and having the deer that close. I bow hunt until general firearms opens which is the 2nd weekend in nov. normally, then its on to dog hunting and i still go still hunting on my land but its only on weekdays or holidays.
There's no Sunday Hunting in VA because the VAHDA opposes it...and right now they have the power by voting for those people who decide if we have Sunday Hunting or not....
Go to their web site. vahda.org/ and click on News at the top of the page.....then scroll down to Senate bill 868 defeated and click on The PDF ...they have 7 reasons.... # 2 is my favorite ....a day of rest ...
BUT it's ok to look for your LOST dogs and Game animals.....
How is looking for lost dogs resting...??????
They are a bunch of hypocrites....
If someone doesn't want to hunt on Sunday fine.... Just don't stop me or any other hunter from hunting on Sunday if we want to....
I hope someday soon you and your son can hunt on Sunday along with the rest of Virginias hunters....
Old 12-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by brewman555
There's no Sunday Hunting in VA because the VAHDA opposes it...and right now they have the power by voting for those people who decide if we have Sunday Hunting or not....
Go to their web site. vahda.org/ and click on News at the top of the page.....then scroll down to Senate bill 868 defeated and click on The PDF ...they have 7 reasons.... # 2 is my favorite ....a day of rest ...
BUT it's ok to look for your LOST dogs and Game animals.....
How is looking for lost dogs resting...??????
They are a bunch of hypocrites....
If someone doesn't want to hunt on Sunday fine.... Just don't stop me or any other hunter from hunting on Sunday if we want to....
I hope someday soon you and your son can hunt on Sunday along with the rest of Virginias hunters....
Your own Quote says lost dogs AND GAME ANIMALS, so you have as much right to recover a shot animal on sunday as a hound hunter has to retrive a lost dog. So exactly how does this law benifit a hound hunter more than any other hunter?

As I stated before it is a religion thing, what part of this dont you under stand? Here I will post it so everyone can see that you are talking out of your butt.

"The Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance has adopted a position opposing hunting on Sunday
for many reasons. It is first and foremost an expression of the vast majority of our
membership, even though all may not subscribe to all of the stated reasons in this paper.
1. The first and foremost reason is our faith. The Fourth Commandment is
reason enough to oppose hunting on Sunday. "Remember the Sabbath day
by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the
seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God.
We also recognize that
the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
2. We believe that all can use a day of rest. It is a time to recover and reflect.
You may look for lost dogs or game animals, declared by the law to be
hunting, but the retrieval of lost sheep is consistent with the gospel. We
believe that the hunted also benefit from the day of rest.
3. We believe landowners want a day to rest. To enjoy the quiet of their
property, absent their guests of the rest of the week, no matter how welcome
they may be at other times. Sunday is a day of reflection.
4. We believe that even the most supportive families would benefit from this
positive statement of family values.
5. Other outdoor users appreciate a day to themselves. Without this day, they
may turn against the selfish hunters who demand hunting on Sunday and place
all hunting at risk. Remember all hunting is not done on large private tracts.
6. Virginia has the most generous limits on deer kill of any state in the nation.
No hunter, no matter how they plead otherwise, is so deprived as not to be
able to find an opportunity to hunt during the long seasons. We acknowledge
that some of our number have a limited number of vacation days, but believe
that resulting public opinion would inescapably be negative, and give antihunters a big hammer to bludgeon us with.
7. Modern wildlife management bases its hunting seasons on range carrying
capacities, species reproductive rates and mortality rates. One significant
factor in determining any hunting season is the number of animals harvested
by hunters. The number of animals harvested by hunters is determined by
man-days a field times the success rate. Most studies have shown that
typically 40% of total man-hours of hunting occur on Saturday. The addition
of Sunday would be certain to require the eventual adjustment of the seasons
for most if not all species that are hunted. This would result in the eventual
shortening of the hunting season.
The Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance acknowledges that hunters are coming to Virginia
from other areas having Sunday hunting. Many areas allow other practices that have also
long been against the law in Virginia such as hunting over bait and hunting big game
animals in small enclosures. We see no reason to support hunting on Sunday in the
Commonwealth of Virginia at this time."

Last edited by Jim Burns; 12-11-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jim Burns
Your own Quote says lost dogs AND GAME ANIMALS, so you have as much right to recover a shot animal on sunday as a hound hunter has to retrive a lost dog. So exactly how does this law benifit a hound hunter more than any other hunter?
."
What does that have to do with hunting on Sunday...?????
It doesn't say "after you recover your game animal you can go hunting again".....

Like I said...#2 a day of rest....looking for your dog is not resting.....
Hypocrites...
Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by brewman555
What does that have to do with hunting on Sunday...?????
It doesn't say "after you recover your game animal you can go hunting again".....

Like I said...#2 a day of rest....looking for your dog is not resting.....
Hypocrites...
Does it say after you find your dog you can go hunting? Maybe Im missing something or just maybe you are full of crap. I guess if you have lost dogs or wounded game you should wait till monday to find them. Give me a break!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jim Burns
You should not shoot a bear out of a tree under dogs that arnt yours, because when you shoot a bear in the tree you need to have the dogs tied back in a safe area in case the bear comes out and attacks the dogs. You would have been jeapordizing that mans hounds by not knowing what you were doing. Now agred they shouldnt have threatened you but you haver no business shooting any animal over someone elses dogs.

As far as a unfair advantage of shooting a defensless bear out of a tree, what is the difference in you being in a tree and shooting a deffensless animal on the ground. When you look at it, all hunting is a unfair advantage, the animals arnt armed, they are not aware they are being hunted, when they are being pursued by hounds they know they are being hunted. Is it fair to use a high powered rifle with a tactical scope to shoot a deer at 500 yards that is enjoying a day in the feild eating grass? If you want to make it fair build your own bow, chip your own arrowheads, spot a buck run out there and yell at it and then go hunt it. Now you are on a level playing field, the animal is aware you are out to kill it. Now that would be fair hunting wouldnt it? How about hireing a guide? That is a unfair advantage, you are using the skills of the guide to find you a animal, you arnt using your huinting skills. Hey this arguement on a fair way of hunting can go on and on, just like the antis like to do to it, they put hunters against each other. The oldest tactic in the books, divide and conquer. I wouldnt be supprised if a majority of the people on here that are spouting this crap wernt antis, with a agenda.

I would have loved to have shot that bear and it had came down and attacked their dogs! If you unable to control your dogs and keep them off of posted property than so be it.....your loss. Maybe I would have got the pleasure of finishing a few of them off And I will do it tomorrow if a bear is tree'd in front of me. I am not a bear hunter. I have shot a bear and have a 1/2 mount hanging on my wall. I have no desire to ever kill another, but I would if one was tree'd up in front of me with a bunch of barking mutts ruining my day afield. I have no sympathy for dog hunters or there dogs. Also I don't use a treestand I like being ground level with the deer or turkey's I am pursuing. It adds more to the hunt for me knowing I am ground level in the same line of sight and not to mention trying to beat a deer's nose. I also don't shoot 500 yards. I hunt thickets on rock slate ridden ridges where I am lucky to get a 50 yard shot, generally lucky to get a 30 yard shot. And as far as hiring a guide......I am the guide......hell if any of you dog hunters want to learn how to hunt come on up to Va and I will guide ya lol. And to finish off my rant I am no anti either. I love the sport of deer hunting.....it is my life. There is no law or legestlation that would ever stop me from doing it. As I said before and nothing will sway my opinion....outside of bird, coon, hell even rabbit hunting dogs are not needed unless you don't have the drive and ability to get out and hunt....not just to kill. You have hunters and killers....if you use dogs to "hunt" bear or deer you are a killer....Plain and simple. But hey....to each his own.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by shooter50
I would have loved to have shot that bear and it had came down and attacked their dogs! If you unable to control your dogs and keep them off of posted property than so be it.....your loss. Maybe I would have got the pleasure of finishing a few of them off And I will do it tomorrow if a bear is tree'd in front of me. I am not a bear hunter. I have shot a bear and have a 1/2 mount hanging on my wall. I have no desire to ever kill another, but I would if one was tree'd up in front of me with a bunch of barking mutts ruining my day afield. I have no sympathy for dog hunters or there dogs. Also I don't use a treestand I like being ground level with the deer or turkey's I am pursuing. It adds more to the hunt for me knowing I am ground level in the same line of sight and not to mention trying to beat a deer's nose. I also don't shoot 500 yards. I hunt thickets on rock slate ridden ridges where I am lucky to get a 50 yard shot, generally lucky to get a 30 yard shot. And as far as hiring a guide......I am the guide......hell if any of you dog hunters want to learn how to hunt come on up to Va and I will guide ya lol. And to finish off my rant I am no anti either. I love the sport of deer hunting.....it is my life. There is no law or legestlation that would ever stop me from doing it. As I said before and nothing will sway my opinion....outside of bird, coon, hell even rabbit hunting dogs are not needed unless you don't have the drive and ability to get out and hunt....not just to kill. You have hunters and killers....if you use dogs to "hunt" bear or deer you are a killer....Plain and simple. But hey....to each his own.
So why do you feel its alright to use a dog for coon and not bear?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Coon hunting because they only (for the most part) come out at night. So you gotta tree them and hit them with the light to see them. And it's small game.....who gives a flip how you hunt them. Dog hunters can shoot them all for all I care they don't peoples freezers in the fall who depend on it. Hell I will throw in squirrels too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.