Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dear Dog Hunters

Old 12-11-2012, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by westcyderydin
why can't you hunt on sunday in VA?
That's the million dollar question. In a nutshell, it's one of the old "blue laws" that is still being enforced. Dirty politics and a certain group of **cough, cough** dog hunters siding with the HSUS have kept this archaic law around.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 12-11-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds to me like a lot of you boys need to move out of Virginia and go somewhere where your kind is more tolerated, say California, they banned hound hunting and now are in the prosess of trying to ban all hunting. Houndhunting has been a part of Virginias heritage since Virginia has been arround, about 400 years, the Virginia state dog is a American Fox Hound. Get it?

I dont agree with tresspassing on peoples property but that crap happens everywhere, not just with hound hunters. It seems some of you are trying to classify all hound hunters in the same light, there are bad examples of hunters in all forms of hunting. Because some hunters poach and spotlight, does that mean ALL hunters practice the same tactics? Of course not, but listening to you guys on this thread you make it sound like all hound hunters are tresspassers and dont respect other hunters. We are all hunters, it doesnt matter what tactics you practice, when you devide each other you are playing right into the hands of the antis and animal rights groups. Take a good look at California, they have banned hound hunting and I just recently read a article stateing they wasnt going to stop there. The fully intend on banning all hunting in the state of California, they are even changing the name of the California Fish & Game to California Fish & Wildlife, game is associated with hunting, which they dont want no part of.

A link to hound hunting in Virginia.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26916860.../#.UMc67IOunK0

Here is another link you should read.
http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=6594
Old 12-11-2012, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

why can't you hunt on sunday in VA?
Because when it comes to Sunday Hunting Virginia is Backasswards ...like VAhuntr said " old blue laws "..... But you can buy beer....wine or whiskey on Sunday...and you can shop all over the state in every mall......and you can fish or go hiking or horseback riding in the forest...WMA's or State Parks on Sunday....you can even go and shoot your bow or gun on Sunday....BUT NO DEER HUNTING on SUNDAY.....and the people that make the rules are mostly voted in by the guys who run dogs....and most dog hunters ( not all ) don't want Sunday Hunting so it's " if you want our vote ...you vote NO on Sunday Hunting and you can keep your seat on the board".....kinda the good old boy network here in VA....
Virginia need to stop living in the past...and move into the 21st century and Let the hunters in Virginia have Sunday Hunting.....
Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Does anyone know how many deer are killed by "still" hunters compared to what is killed by "dog" hunters? I would love to know a number. I have read what the kill numbers are for each county and city in VA but its all about thinning the herds and the population.
I love still hunting and would do it as much as possible during the hunting season but honestly, how many deer does a still hunter kill each year? Not enough to control a herd and population. Not like dog hunters do with the hunt clubs. If hunting with dogs came to a end in VA, then the population would be over run and deer would be everywhere and would be so much inbreeding going on it would hurt the herds. If anyone is a "trophy" hunter looking for a nice buck i think that would be an impossible hunt cause a buck would have so many does he wouldnt have to get up and move, the woods would be filled with them and you'd never see him i think. It would be hard to even go in the woods cause so many deer would be around trying to find bedding areas you would jump them up all over trying to find a spot. Yea it would make hunting a challenge but most people cant fill enough tags in a year to do any damage to a herd.
I know this is all about dogs and owners going on others land and thats what yall hate the most but the fact is, most likely VA wont ever ban it, maybe they will have regulations on it which i agree on but not ban it.
Also, Hunters for the hungry, most the meat comes from hunt clubs that run dogs. Do we still hunters actually kill a deer and say im going to donate it today and not keep any meat? Yeah right be real. Hunt clubs may kill anywhere from 1 to 20 deer a day and will donate a ton of meat to hunters for the hungry to help familys out.
Also, Dog hunters help out the economy, wether you like it or not. We dog hunters buy way more gas, food, ammo, guns, clothing, equipment and etc. than any still hunters.
This is just a few things nobody else has mentioned and im not looking to argue, this is just a few facts or something to think about that goes along with hound hunting.

Last edited by Ohboy; 12-11-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

why would dog hunters not want to hunt on sundays?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ohboy....why don't states that DON'T allow hunting with dogs have ALL these problems that you mention....?????...lots of trophy deer are killed every year in states that don't use dogs......hunt clubs kill so many deer too because if it's brown it's down.....and your right PROPERTY OWNERS ( hunters )don't like having others hunters TRESPASSING on their land ....especially when they are in a stand hunting....you should know that because you said you "still" hunt.....and plenty meat goes to hunters for the hungry from hunters that don't use dogs....and dog hunters may use more gas then the rest of us hunters....but then again were not driving the roads constantly dropping off dogs and riding the roads looking for them.....and many of us other hunters spend LOTS of money BUYING our OWN HUNTING PROPERTY and maintaining it ....
Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

why would dog hunters not want to hunt on sundays?
Because you have to work on Monday and you can't drive around monday looking for your dogs...thats what they use Sunday for...to find the dogs they couldn't find on Saturday....And most wouldn't know how to hunt without a dog....you know sitting in a tree and having to learn the woods and the deers pattern......it's called hunting.....
Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds to me like deer hunting with dogs is intrusive to other hunters in more ways than one in that state. Glad i don't live there.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Dont know about other states and there issues, i live and hunt in VA and dont wonder outside of here to hunt or read about them states. I see what people post on here about there kills and storys and read all the problems they have as well. Im sure it wouldnt be as bad as i made it sound but just would be tougher than it is now and there is still alot of people that dont kill a deer in a year. That doesnt help the state any. As far as hunt clubs killing everything, yes most do cause the farmers or land owners want everything killed, which is why dog clubs get the lease, to kill the deer, not just 1 or 2. Which is why most farmers/owners have to kill so many deer during the summer to limit the herd cause us still hunters dont kill enough deer in a year. The deer damage so much land its crazy, especially on a farm, But since you apparently own land you should know this stuff. I have 233 acres and i still hunt it all the time and yes i have had dogs run deer through the property several times a year, but i use that towards my advantage and try to kill the deer. and the club i hunt with, we have a size limit, does have to be bigger than 70lbs and bucks have to be 16" inside or bigger
Old 12-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by brewman555
Because you have to work on Monday and you can't drive around monday looking for your dogs...thats what they use Sunday for...to find the dogs they couldn't find on Saturday....And most wouldn't know how to hunt without a dog....you know sitting in a tree and having to learn the woods and the deers pattern......it's called hunting.....
wow you really have a bad taste in your mouth for dogs and dog hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.