Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dear Dog Hunters

Old 12-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Lets get real

I'm from CT, born and raised.
Moved to Virginia then Maryland in my teen years.

Grew to love hunting thru my Grampa in NH.

Friends took me to King George Hunt Club in King George Co. VA. yeah, it was a little weird but I came to love hunting over dogs.

All this bravado/talk about shooting a dog or one another is bullsh!t.

A human life is not worth that of a dog so get real. No one wants to shoot a dog, damnit, you can't eat the bugger. Would you mount a dog??

Come on people, you know what you'd do and what you WOULDN'T do out there.

Years ago, Market hunters would shoot rafts of ducks on the Chesapeake and Delaware Waters and it was legal and customary. Now, it is not so but that doesn't mean that it was wrong. Just not accepted now.

Dog hunting for deer in the swampy areas of the south was and is just the way it's done. When you're gunning for meat, that was the way to get a lot for your community. Everyone shares the kill in the Hunt Club I hunted with. I reckon that is so everywhere.

Maybe not what you're accustomed to but don't bash what you have no intelligence on. You show your ignorance doing that.

My $.02
Old 12-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jim Burns
I would shoot someone over my dogs, and so would alot of other houndsmen that I know. So if you are thinking of doing that, just keep in mind that there are people like me out there. Is it really worth taking the chance?
A statement like that is insane. Again, I wouldn't shoot a mans hunting dogs, but a lot of hunters will. Just make sure you keep your dogs off other peoples property so you never run into that problem. If your dogs run through other properties, that's your fault, and to say you would shoot someone on their own property because of a dog is just plain crazy. How does 2nd degree murder sound? A human life for a dogs life, unbelievable.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by brewman555
I'm a " Yankee "....move from Maryland 18 years ago to Virginia....and your right VA5326.... I love to hunt...but would like to see hunting deer with dogs disappear and be replaced with SUNDAY HUNTING FOR ALL VIRGINIA HUNTERS........
Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by brewman555
I'm a " Yankee "....move from Maryland 18 years ago to Virginia....and your right VA5326.... I love to hunt...but would like to see hunting deer with dogs disappear and be replaced with SUNDAY HUNTING FOR ALL VIRGINIA HUNTERS........
I love still hunting and i also love hunting with dogs and i have to say, i hope deer hunting with dogs never goes away in VA. Id rather never hunt a sunday than to lose hunting with dogs.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

you want to do something on sundays, go fishing!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

When ya hunt deer with dogs, that's telling me you can't kill them with stealth. That's not "hunting" as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by early in
When ya hunt deer with dogs, that's telling me you can't kill them with stealth. That's not "hunting" as far as I'm concerned.
I have killed just as many still hunting as i have running dogs. I grew up hunting with dogs since i was 8 with my dad and family. So its been apart of me since then and i cont' it today and always will and i have my 8yr old son hunting with me now and he actually just killed his first deer ever sat. morning with me while we were running dogs. He killed her with his .410 on his first shot ever at a deer. I dont care who you are that was simply amazing and im proud as he** that he did that. He also enjoys still hunting with me and i have bought him a crossbow for christmas and that will be his still hunting toy for next year
Old 12-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why didn't you buy him a compound bow? Is that also too much like work? Stop pushing the EASY button. lmao
Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

As I have stated before, I dont hunt deer with dogs, but I do believe a dog hunter that wants to hunt deer with dogs and it is leagle in the area that he or she is hunting in has just as much right to hunt there as anyone! As far as hound hunting being easy, I hunt bear and mt. lion with hounds in the northwest mountains, if you think that it is easy you obviously have never done it. Shooting bear or deer over a bait or a food plot is alot easier than chaseing a hound up and down thick timbered mountains.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Jim Burns
As I have stated before, I dont hunt deer with dogs, but I do believe a dog hunter that wants to hunt deer with dogs and it is leagle in the area that he or she is hunting in has just as much right to hunt there as anyone! As far as hound hunting being easy, I hunt bear and mt. lion with hounds in the northwest mountains, if you think that it is easy you obviously have never done it. Shooting bear or deer over a bait or a food plot is alot easier than chaseing a hound up and down thick timbered mountains.
I understand dog hunting is a legal and excepted way to hunt deer and other animals in many areas of the country. This being said, I don't think "treeing" a bear/cougar with dogs, then shooting it because it has no way of escape, even resembles "hunting". Also, killing a deer that's been "herded" or otherwise just run out of energy by dogs, doesn't do it for me. But, if it's legal and you're happy doing it, have at it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.