Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dear Dog Hunters

Old 12-12-2012, 03:04 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by brewman555
I live and hunt in Va and dogs can be and are a problem....but what I find an even worse problem is the hunters who come on your property looking for their lost dogs while your sitting in your stand....these guys should have to wait till AFTER legal hunting is over before they can come on any property to look for the dogs so as NOT to screw up your hunt make a bad situation even worse....I also think if you use a dog it's no different then me using a bow..shotgun or muzzle loader....YOU SHOULD HAVE TO HAVE A SPECIAL PERMIT JUST LIKE THE REST OF US.....like $5 a dog.....
I don't believe in shooting anyone's dogs....they are just doing what there bred to do...chase deer....they don't know property lines .....but the hunters do and SOME DON'T CARE.....I had two run around the place Im hunting a week ago.....if it happens again I'm gonna take a box of MILK BONES with me a see just how hungry these dogs are.....don't know how well a dog will run with a belly full of bones......
In addition, hunters are not allowed to cross the property lines, no matter what, (weather they are looking for their dogs or their kill) unless they have permission to do so. Last weekend or two ago, my friends deer ran onto the neighboring property. I could not in any way find who owned it as it belongs to an LLC and is land locked. Fortunatly the game warden was using my property to get to the landlocked property looking for poachers. He helped us for an hour or so tracking the animal on the other property without our guns and we found that the deer had crossed back onto our land after crossing through the other property and creek. If people are trespassing to "look" for their dogs, they need to be reported too. It is unfortunate that we have a "what is mine, not yours" mentallity, but facts are facts and that is the way it is. We shoudl be able to adopt Swedish Law which basically states that land and nature is for everyone. People still own what is theirs, but everyone can hunt and hike and camp anywhere as long as they clean up after themselves. Sad to say, many people do not do that here in the good ol' U.S. of A.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:09 AM
Spike

If you want to run your dogs during hunting season.....put a leash on them and go jogging.....
What a statement!! Too funny!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Jim Burns
Sounds to me like a lot of you boys need to move out of Virginia and go somewhere where your kind is more tolerated, say California, they banned hound hunting and now are in the prosess of trying to ban all hunting. Houndhunting has been a part of Virginias heritage since Virginia has been arround, about 400 years, the Virginia state dog is a American Fox Hound. Get it?

I dont agree with tresspassing on peoples property but that crap happens everywhere, not just with hound hunters. It seems some of you are trying to classify all hound hunters in the same light, there are bad examples of hunters in all forms of hunting. Because some hunters poach and spotlight, does that mean ALL hunters practice the same tactics? Of course not, but listening to you guys on this thread you make it sound like all hound hunters are tresspassers and dont respect other hunters. We are all hunters, it doesnt matter what tactics you practice, when you devide each other you are playing right into the hands of the antis and animal rights groups. Take a good look at California, they have banned hound hunting and I just recently read a article stateing they wasnt going to stop there. The fully intend on banning all hunting in the state of California, they are even changing the name of the California Fish & Game to California Fish & Wildlife, game is associated with hunting, which they dont want no part of.

A link to hound hunting in Virginia.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26916860.../#.UMc67IOunK0

Here is another link you should read.
http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=6594
Jim, I can agree with you that the division is feeding right into the hands of the bunny huggers. We all, as hunters need to pull together on this for our passion and love for the sport. I cannot, however: agree with your statement that we should all move out of VA. This is a great state. One of the greatest I have lived in and made my home for the past 15 plus years. It has it's querks, but every state does. I don't compare every dog runner to be the same, but... I have never met up with a dog runner (not saying that they are not out there) that was on the up and up or did not trespass and/or screw up my hunt. As it goes, if you go off of past experiences, then I cannot side and will not side or agree with running dogs on deer. As far as your statement of the "foxhound, Get it...", well just as a funny I have to say, we're talking about running deer here, not fox. Lol.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:38 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ohboy
Does anyone know how many deer are killed by "still" hunters compared to what is killed by "dog" hunters? I would love to know a number. I have read what the kill numbers are for each county and city in VA but its all about thinning the herds and the population.
I love still hunting and would do it as much as possible during the hunting season but honestly, how many deer does a still hunter kill each year? Not enough to control a herd and population. Not like dog hunters do with the hunt clubs. If hunting with dogs came to a end in VA, then the population would be over run and deer would be everywhere and would be so much inbreeding going on it would hurt the herds. If anyone is a "trophy" hunter looking for a nice buck i think that would be an impossible hunt cause a buck would have so many does he wouldnt have to get up and move, the woods would be filled with them and you'd never see him i think. It would be hard to even go in the woods cause so many deer would be around trying to find bedding areas you would jump them up all over trying to find a spot. Yea it would make hunting a challenge but most people cant fill enough tags in a year to do any damage to a herd.
I know this is all about dogs and owners going on others land and thats what yall hate the most but the fact is, most likely VA wont ever ban it, maybe they will have regulations on it which i agree on but not ban it.
Also, Hunters for the hungry, most the meat comes from hunt clubs that run dogs. Do we still hunters actually kill a deer and say im going to donate it today and not keep any meat? Yeah right be real. Hunt clubs may kill anywhere from 1 to 20 deer a day and will donate a ton of meat to hunters for the hungry to help familys out.
Also, Dog hunters help out the economy, wether you like it or not. We dog hunters buy way more gas, food, ammo, guns, clothing, equipment and etc. than any still hunters.
This is just a few things nobody else has mentioned and im not looking to argue, this is just a few facts or something to think about that goes along with hound hunting.
Ohboy, you said a mouth full. "Most meat that goes to hunters for the hungry comes from hunt clubs"...!!! THEN WHY KILL THE ANIMAL??????? Donations...that is a great thing. Using DMAP tags on farms and donating the meat...good thing, but why kill just to kill? Why should twenty or thirty hunters go out, kill as many as they can and then just donate it??? I eat everything I kill and the meat I don't eat, I have actually only shared with friends who come over for dinner or given to my brother or a friend who doesn't have the meat.
You also said you would like to know how many deer are killed by still hunters in comparioson to dog hunters. I personally filled my tags last year with 6 and this year I have five and could have filled my sixth ten times over already, but I am waiting for a hunt this Christamas with my brother.
You make great pints about the inbreeding and bad genes and the population. I can see that would be a great plus to using dogs, But if I am harvesting 6 or more deer a season with bonous tags and my other four club members are doing the same on a fifty acre lot in Fauquier County, that is making a dent in the population control. This is all still hunting. Never driving the property. We took 20 last year alone. You do make some good points even though I am not for dog running! Have a good one!!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
You need to read the article I posted Mr. Burns. The VAHDA leadership screwed hunters last year during the General Assembly session. Furthermore, the VDGIF is in support of lifting the ban and they have surveys from a majority of hunters who want the ban lifted.

And yes, you can hunt in VA on Sunday if you hunt on a licensed shooting preserve. You just can't hunt on your own property. How much durn sense does that make?
Hahaahaa, it makes sense because, yet again, MONEY!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys ...it looks like Jim Burns ...the VAHDA and some others that hunt with dogs just don't want anyone in the woods on Sunday because it's a day for US to rest....they want the woods to themselves so they can run dogs after bear and look for their lost dogs....to me that sounds selfish and greedy....

I say Sunday Hunting for ALL Virginia Hunters.......
Old 12-12-2012, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cpljbuck
Hahaahaa, it makes sense because, yet again, MONEY!

You are right. If VA ever legalizes hunting on Sunday's, you will probably have to purchase a special stamp to do it!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

I was raised on rabbit hunting with a (single) dog. It was great sport, but a poor man's sport. I paid my cousin $10 for the beagle pup and the only cost was a few bucks for a license and shot gun shells - I walked to where I hunted as neighbors (back then) did not mind. From what I am reading here, modern dog hunting is no poor man's sport but rather one for those with a few thousand (or more) dollars to invest. The VA story is pretty sad, and sadder yet is the guise of a "Day of Rest". As a Bible-believing Christian myself, I am offended by this fakery - we all know darned well this is not the real reason. If I want to go to church on Sunday, nobody is stopping me. And I have never ever EVER heard of a single soul, among my fellow Christians, or otherwise, in my state suggesting that Sunday hunting not be allowed for any reason. Rather, in VA, it appears that those owning the preserves (where Sunday hunting is allowed) want to not lose their advantage. With respect to big game hunting, deer dog hunting is not allowed in my state but bear dog hunting is. Bear dog running is restricted to a separate season before the deer season and generally is done in large tracts of public land - to my knowledge it has never been a problem with any deer hunter I know.

Last edited by MZS; 12-12-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

Look under general information.....Page 19 ....UNLAWFUL METHODS.....

It is unlawful to :
Hunt wild birds and wild animals with firearms or other weapons on Sunday....EXCEPT on a licensed shooting preserve.
Like I said you can hunt on Sundays....and run dogs on Sundays chasing bear....so I
guess it's not a day day of rest after all......
Yeah, a bear hunter can chase bears on Sunday during pursuit season, without a gun. You can go sit in a tree stand all day on sunday without a gun. It is illeagle to kill any animal on Sunday because it is a religious day that is observed by the MAJORITY of the registered voters in Virginia. Not because that is the way hound hunters want it. Beleive me hound hunters would love to be able to run and shoot game on sunday just like everyone else. I understand why you are upset, it is a B.S. law but it is a law that has been arround for so long because the people of Virginia wont vote it out, because it is the bible belt and it is a religious thing. It was put to a vote and that is how this law came to be. There are way more non-hound hunters than hound hunters in Virginia, so how can you possibly hold the hound hunters responsible for that law. What, the hound hunters vote over rides everyone elses vote? Right, give it a break all ready! Hound hunters can retreive there hounds on sunday, you can retrive wounded game on sunday. So where is the advantage for hound hunters, you both can have a legetiment reason for being in the woods on sunday. Whining about it will never get it changed, get hunters organized get it back on the ballot and do something about it.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cpljbuck
In addition, hunters are not allowed to cross the property lines, no matter what, (weather they are looking for their dogs or their kill) unless they have permission to do so. Last weekend or two ago, my friends deer ran onto the neighboring property. I could not in any way find who owned it as it belongs to an LLC and is land locked. Fortunatly the game warden was using my property to get to the landlocked property looking for poachers. He helped us for an hour or so tracking the animal on the other property without our guns and we found that the deer had crossed back onto our land after crossing through the other property and creek. If people are trespassing to "look" for their dogs, they need to be reported too. It is unfortunate that we have a "what is mine, not yours" mentallity, but facts are facts and that is the way it is. We shoudl be able to adopt Swedish Law which basically states that land and nature is for everyone. People still own what is theirs, but everyone can hunt and hike and camp anywhere as long as they clean up after themselves. Sad to say, many people do not do that here in the good ol' U.S. of A.
Here you go, you will see your state is one that allows people to go on your property to retrive dogs, with or without premission.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6671904_cri...sing-laws.html

Many states have exceptions that allow hunters to go onto private land. For example, hunters are allowed to go onto private land to retrieve hunting dogs in Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota and Virginia. Hunters can enter private land to bring back wounded game in Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota and North Dakota.

Read more: Criminal Trespassing Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6671904_cri...#ixzz2Eqbvkexb

Also in Virginia your property has to be clearly marked with a specific color, just like in Idaho. Idaho has to be marked a minium of a 100 square inches of florecent orange paint every 660 feet along the borders, if it isnt marked you can go on it even if it is fenced off, I dont know exactly how your laws are but I do know they have to be clearly marked as well.

Many states require the property owner to post a notice to stay off the property. Posted notices must be in purple paint in Arkansas, Missouri, Texas, and Kansas. Posted notices in other specific colors are required in Arizona, Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Nevada, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin.

Read more: Criminal Trespassing Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6671904_cri...#ixzz2EqcVovzs

Last edited by Jim Burns; 12-12-2012 at 05:36 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.