Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dear Dog Hunters

Old 12-10-2012, 08:07 AM
  #91  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 157
Default

Originally Posted by early in
I understand dog hunting is a legal and excepted way to hunt deer and other animals in many areas of the country. This being said, I don't think "treeing" a bear/cougar with dogs, then shooting it because it has no way of escape, even resembles "hunting". Also, killing a deer that's been "herded" or otherwise just run out of energy by dogs, doesn't do it for me. But, if it's legal and you're happy doing it, have at it.
Like I said, you obviously never done it. Bears and lions dont always tree, the odds of getting a tree is about like getting a deer on a still hunt. A bear can run 15+ miles over rough terrain, threw creeks and they will stand there ground and fight the hounds. It is amuseing to me how people that have never done it speculate how easy it is and that bears always tree. That is kinda like saying fly fishing is easy, it looks easy but untill you try it you really dont know what you are talking about. In the last 5 years I would say I have treed way over 100 bear and have only shot one, not everyone that runs hounds do it to kill the animal. I do it to enjoy running the dogs and get some really cool photos in the prosess. Like I stated above, it takes less of a hunter to shoot a animal over a food plott, bait or behind a high fence than it does to run hounds.

Last edited by Jim Burns; 12-10-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Jim Burns is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 AM
  #92  
Typical Buck
 
turkey harvester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southeast Missouri
Posts: 647
Default

I wish they would let us run beagles for deer in Mo, but we have too many city folk and out of staters that whine too much. I say let us buy a permit for the dog and limit the size of the beagles and only do it the last 3 or 4 days of season when all the whiners go home. I run rabbits faithfully with beagles and certainly dont see anything wrong with dog running. As far as being on someones property we have way too much gov. woods to run in. Just my 2 cents worth.
turkey harvester is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 AM
  #93  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,662
Default

Originally Posted by Ohboy
I love still hunting and i also love hunting with dogs and i have to say, i hope deer hunting with dogs never goes away in VA. Id rather never hunt a sunday than to lose hunting with dogs.
Hunting with dogs would be ok with me if the guys running them just kept the dogs on the property they are hunting....lots of dog hunters need to look up the words PRIVATE PROPERTY and NO TRESPASSING because they sure don't seem to know what they mean......

Sunday Hunting is coming.....
brewman555 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 AM
  #94  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,662
Default

Originally Posted by Ohboy
you want to do something on sundays, go fishing!
If you want to run your dogs during hunting season.....put a leash on them and go jogging.....
brewman555 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM
  #95  
Fork Horn
 
Ohboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: yorktown,va
Posts: 283
Default

Originally Posted by brewman555
If you want to run your dogs during hunting season.....put a leash on them and go jogging.....
By far the best post in this whole thread
Ohboy is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 AM
  #96  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
7.62NATO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,473
Default

Originally Posted by Jim Burns
Like I said, you obviously never done it. Bears and lions dont always tree, the odds of getting a tree is about like getting a deer on a still hunt. A bear can run 15+ miles over rough terrain, threw creeks and they will stand there ground and fight the hounds. It is amuseing to me how people that have never done it speculate how easy it is and that bears always tree. That is kinda like saying fly fishing is easy, it looks easy but untill you try it you really dont know what you are talking about. In the last 5 years I would say I have treed way over 100 bear and have only shot one, not everyone that runs hounds do it to kill the animal. I do it to enjoy running the dogs and get some really cool photos in the prosess. Like I stated above, it takes less of a hunter to shoot a animal over a food plott, bait or behind a high fence than it does to run hounds.
You're confusing hard work with predatory hunting. It would take lot of hard work for me to dig a 4'x6'x8'-deep hole, cover it with sticks and leaves, and bait it with corn to catch a deer, but it wouldn't make me a better hunter. So your dogs can chase a bear 15+ miles? What does that have to do with hunting? You may enjoy it, it may be part of your heritage, but I know you aren't walking the 15 miles, and even if you were, you wouldn't be a better hunter for it.

As the OP and a Virginia resident, you should know that it is illegal to bait here. And whether or not it is legal, illegal, or just plain too easy to hunt over a food plot, that really isn't relevant here, is it? Why not? The point of the discussion isn't the ease of a hunt or lack thereof, the point is the intrusivenes of your hunting method. I don't hunt over food plots. As stated, I pretty much only hunt public land. But even if I did hunt food plots, at least my actions wouldn't be invasive. At least my actions wouldn't force others to give up their hunting tactics and adapt to mine. That is what dog hunting does, and i've not heard a single shred of evidence that it doesn't. The only thing I hear is "justification." B.S.

If you want to do it on private property, fine. Keep the dogs on your property. If ya can't, then you shouldn't do it. And while it is legal to deer hunt with dogs on most public land in VA, only an ignorant fool buys the, "It's public land, I have as much right to it as you,' B.S. Yes, it's public land. Yes, you have a right to it, just as much as everyone else. But do you see everyone else taking up the whole frickin' woods with their tactics (same goes to the hooting and holler man drivers)? No, you don't. When a still hunter encounters a stand hunter, he is respectful and tries as best he can to turn back or salvage the stand hunter's hunt. You dog hunters don't. You force your way of hunting on everyone else, leave your dogs behind, let them trespass, and you don't give a crap.

With regard to Sunday hunting, it's just more proof that dog hunters at large are self-absorbed. No offense to Ohboy -- because he genuinely seems like a nice guy with his head on strait. But the dog hunting lobby is the absolute only thing standing in the way of Sunday hunting, under the guise of giving the animals a day of rest. B.S. And everyone knows it.

As for your statement that you would shoot a man who shot one of his dogs trespassing on his property, it's a simple deduction that you are a old, ragged piece of crap. So screw off. No-one is talking about hunting bear anyways, so why don't you post your crap where it's actually relevant.
7.62NATO is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 AM
  #97  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,662
Default

Great post NATO.......Well said........
brewman555 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM
  #98  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 157
Default

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
You're confusing hard work with predatory hunting. It would take lot of hard work for me to dig a 4'x6'x8'-deep hole, cover it with sticks and leaves, and bait it with corn to catch a deer, but it wouldn't make me a better hunter. So your dogs can chase a bear 15+ miles? What does that have to do with hunting? You may enjoy it, it may be part of your heritage, but I know you aren't walking the 15 miles, and even if you were, you wouldn't be a better hunter for it.

As the OP and a Virginia resident, you should know that it is illegal to bait here. And whether or not it is legal, illegal, or just plain too easy to hunt over a food plot, that really isn't relevant here, is it? Why not? The point of the discussion isn't the ease of a hunt or lack thereof, the point is the intrusivenes of your hunting method. I don't hunt over food plots. As stated, I pretty much only hunt public land. But even if I did hunt food plots, at least my actions wouldn't be invasive. At least my actions wouldn't force others to give up their hunting tactics and adapt to mine. That is what dog hunting does, and i've not heard a single shred of evidence that it doesn't. The only thing I hear is "justification." B.S.

If you want to do it on private property, fine. Keep the dogs on your property. If ya can't, then you shouldn't do it. And while it is legal to deer hunt with dogs on most public land in VA, only an ignorant fool buys the, "It's public land, I have as much right to it as you,' B.S. Yes, it's public land. Yes, you have a right to it, just as much as everyone else. But do you see everyone else taking up the whole frickin' woods with their tactics (same goes to the hooting and holler man drivers)? No, you don't. When a still hunter encounters a stand hunter, he is respectful and tries as best he can to turn back or salvage the stand hunter's hunt. You dog hunters don't. You force your way of hunting on everyone else, leave your dogs behind, let them trespass, and you don't give a crap.

With regard to Sunday hunting, it's just more proof that dog hunters at large are self-absorbed. No offense to Ohboy -- because he genuinely seems like a nice guy with his head on strait. But the dog hunting lobby is the absolute only thing standing in the way of Sunday hunting, under the guise of giving the animals a day of rest. B.S. And everyone knows it.

As for your statement that you would shoot a man who shot one of his dogs trespassing on his property, it's a simple deduction that you are a old, ragged piece of crap. So screw off. No-one is talking about hunting bear anyways, so why don't you post your crap where it's actually relevant.
You guys act like all hound hunters are disrespectful, that is profileing, not all hound hunters tresspass and are buttholes. I respect people and there property and the other hunters in the woods, if I see someone in the area I am going to hunt I will go somewhere else, even if its another hound hunter. I do hunt private as well as public land, the private land I hunt is owned by a timber company which I buy a permit for me, my truck, and my 4 wheelers. This gives me acsess to thousands of acres of private land and allows me to go behind any gate on it with my 4wheelers or walk behind any gate. What I find amusing is every year I run in to people back behind the gates that dont have the required permits (therfore they are tresspassing) and guess what it is never a hound hunter. The hound hunters up there get the nessasary permits to be on the land and also buy a hound permit. I dont know how many times I have run into no tresspassing sighns in these areas that are put up by out of town hunters that are trying to keep people off of property that they dont even premission to be on. There are crooked hunters in all phases of hunting, not just with the houndsmen, most houndsmen I know obey all laws, because they want to keep the previlage of being able to run hounds.
As far as me shooting someone over my dogs, you dam right. I dont tresspass on private property, so if some hunter is on land that I bought a permit to hunt and shoots one of my dogs because it disrupts his hunting, then yeah I have a big problem with that man and he will either see a azz whoping or a bullet, his choice!
Jim Burns is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
  #99  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 157
Default

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
it's a simple deduction that you are a old, ragged piece of crap. So screw off.
I believe that is a direct insult to another member and grounds for a banning!
Jim Burns is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 PM
  #100  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
7.62NATO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,473
Default

Originally Posted by Jim Burns
I believe that is a direct insult to another member and grounds for a banning!
I think insinuating the fact that you would murder another human being over a dog is a bit worse. But, you're right. I should be banned, and not you. Oh, and just now is where you stated that the murder of a human being would only take place on property you had permission to hunt. Or that they would have a choice between a bullet or an "azz whoopin'." Right.
7.62NATO is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.