Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My son's first buck.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spectacular!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Spike

Your son's smile says it all! Great story! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default 300# 8 Pointer, my Youngest's first Deer hunt with Dad

Hunting in Catskill, NY with my youngest son Stuart. His Uncle and cousins are hunting the same piece of property, exclusive rights on 75 acres carved out of NY State Forest.

After discussing it with him (Stu), we decided to go up when everyone else went elsewhere.

After dawn, we decided to continue climbing.
After reaching a draw where two ridges combine, he wanted to go left. I wanted to go right and up t tip-top. After discussing, we chose his direction. It was 12:30 or so and we decided to break for lunch at a boulder at the beginning of the 5th steppe.

Seated in close proximity, we were quiet, he chowing down on a sandwich and I peeling a hardboiled egg.
I heard a thud-crunch and just as I asked, "did you hear....", he says, "Uhhh, Daddy!"

I looked up and not 8 yards away is this massive gray ghost looking at us like we were aliens.

He froze, Stu covered his ears automatically, knowing what's coming next. I stood, grabbed my .30-30 and leaned forward.

The bucks boilerroom was behind a tree but he left me a shot at his liver/lung which I took. Albert (his later assigned nickname) hunched and jumped. Tracking him, I fired again after he cleared the tree, exactly as he started quartering away downhill, connecting both lungs and his heart with my 150gr. Silvertip.

I jumped out of our lunchspot to try for a third shot but there was only silence after he jumped off a boulder and crumpled 20 yards from where he took my last round.

As I returned, Stuart said, "I guess we have some work to do"?

So proud, brought a tear.

Of course, the rest was ALL work with that monster.
Attached Thumbnails My son's first buck.-dsc02255fourth.jpg  

Last edited by DeppedyDogg; 11-29-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Nice story and congrats to your son! My first buck was a forkhorn and second was a spike. They came in 2010 and 2011 at the ages of 24 and 25. He did well and should be proud!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome Awesome story.