Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My son's first buck.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Spike

Why let him kill something that small? It just teaches kids its OK to shoot anything that moves as long as it has antlers no matter how small it is. I was able to shoot a 173 point 7 point with a nice thick rack only 2 weeks into the season and have missed a big 8 and a 10 and let another 8 walk so its not like you have to waste 2-3 months of the season just to see a big deer. Hunting is about patience and also quality management of your deer. I didnt kill my first buck until I was 20 because I was taught to let anything 6 points and under walk but when I finally did it was a solid 8 pointer and well worth the wait.

Id rather wait a few years and say my first deer was a giant than have all my friends laugh at me cause I killed a 2 pointer. Just ask my brother because his first buck was about the sieze of the one n that pic and my parents actually mounted it and hung it at a farm we use to own with 5 other families. Every weekend we would have 8-9 friends over to hunt and they all laughed at him and gave him hell because of how small it was. Probably didnt help matters by mounting it in the TV/game room for everyone to see right next to my 8 pointer.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cypress32
Why let him kill something that small? It just teaches kids its OK to shoot anything that moves as long as it has antlers no matter how small it is. I was able to shoot a 173 point 7 point with a nice thick rack only 2 weeks into the season and have missed a big 8 and a 10 and let another 8 walk so its not like you have to waste 2-3 months of the season just to see a big deer. Hunting is about patience and also quality management of your deer. I didnt kill my first buck until I was 20 because I was taught to let anything 6 points and under walk but when I finally did it was a solid 8 pointer and well worth the wait.

Id rather wait a few years and say my first deer was a giant than have all my friends laugh at me cause I killed a 2 pointer. Just ask my brother because his first buck was about the sieze of the one n that pic and my parents actually mounted it and hung it at a farm we use to own with 5 other families. Every weekend we would have 8-9 friends over to hunt and they all laughed at him and gave him hell because of how small it was. Probably didnt help matters by mounting it in the TV/game room for everyone to see right next to my 8 pointer.
Shut the front door. And you know what that means. Idiot.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Cypress32

Too many "I's" in your response. The great thing about America is "we" can make choices and because some may see it differently, (doesn't make our choices wrong). This boy was happy and that is a good thing for HUNTING.

EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN GOALS AND EXPECTATIONS IN HUNTING!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

What a story! Good Job Dad, you couldn't ask for a better outing.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
"Oh my god it's a giant buck". Lol. Been there done that. Great story!
LOL

Good stuff right there. Love that story!
Congrats to him! IMO, that is THE perfect 1st buck!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm absolutely pumped for you and your boy. Good job dpv. We need more dads out there like you. It's definitely not the size of the antlers that make for a quality hunt and you proved that. It's too bad that some don't get it.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I appreciate all the positive vibes. Just wanted to share because it meant so much to me and I love reading about the great hunts others have.
I hunted 10 years before killing my first deer. Had to learn everything on my own and make all my own mistakes. And also develop my own judgements and values on what is and isn't acceptable hunting. Almost all of my hunting has been on public land. And on public land around here, if you can pass on a 6 pointer and wait for an 8 pointer I will kiss your ass in the public square. I have spent entire seasons and not seen a single deer. That is gun hunting. My preferred method. For bow or crossbow I can just walk out the back door about 40 yds and get into a tree and kill a nice 8 pointer. Time investment is not that bad and travel expenses are nothing. But I like getting out in the big woods.
In 2010 we met the land owners where we have been hunting this year. They offered to let us hunt. They have not let anyone hunt before. I didn't ask. They offered. We were not able to take them up on it until this year. They have suffered 60 grand in crop loss this year. It's a vineyard so they figure crop loss not in resale value of grapes but in lost wine production. Antlers are cool, but they are not the primary reason I hunt. With the exception of a gift cert for steaks that I added a few bucks to, I have not purchased red meat in over a year. I eat what I kill. It probably would still be cheaper to just buy the meat and have my weekends free but that isn't what I want. Both the freezers in my garage are full. I am giving the meat away now. Both to non hunters, and some folks who I know can use the meat. That little skull cap that was cut off and sent back to us from the butcher with the meat means a lot to me. It is a memory of a great time with my son, who killed a buck in fair chase. The antlers aren't a trophy. They are memento. A relic. I will remember that hunt every time I look at them until my feeble brain gives out on me and I can't recognize them any more. I do not have a problem with trophy hunters or hunters who are obsessed with how big theirs is and I don't worry that somebody will laugh at mine because it's smaller.....but then my family came over from Italy. We don't have to worry about that sort of thing.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome story congrats, you gotta love there enthusiasm.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Man DPV, you AND your son are having an awesome season! Congrats! I can't wait until my kids are old enough to hunt with me. Did you hunt Powhatan WMA? Saturday was a doe day...I'm assuming it was crazy busy.

I took my sister out to hunt for the first time. We went in blind to some private land belonging to a friend of hers (neither of us had been there). I figured hunting there would be better than Powhatan WMA on a doe day. I think I need a ground blind. I saw deer in the thickets with my binoculars but she moved a lot when she got uncomfortable, and I'm thinking they spotted her. We also had our hunt stepped on by DEER DOGS from adjoining properties. Go to private land to avoid this crap and it still happens. If it were my property the dogs were crossing onto, well...S.S.S.

How do you like hunting out of a ground blind? Is your vision limited?

The blind is easier to set up than getting your stand up into a tree. Not easier to carry though because you also need something to sit on.
With my stand I bungee my pack to my stand and I can walk quite a distance without being fatigued. Advantage of the stand...vantage point. I think you can see farther. Advantage of the blind....it blocks the wind. The comfort level is way higher in the blind. I'm also in a pretty swank chair compared to the climber. If you set it up properly and use it smart it gives good cover. If you have all 4 sides open you are right in the deers line of sight and silhouetted.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

congrats to you and your boy, i think that taking a doe or small buck as your first deer is just fine. it helps you better prepare your mind for when the big one comes by. New hunters can also lose interest all together if they wait for "years" to try to harvest a big buck. "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.