HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Shooting Fawns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/375733-shooting-fawns.html)

hrancher013 11-25-2012 01:05 PM

Shooting Fawns

Just wondering what everyones opinion is on shooting fawns. And from a herd management stand point what is the difference if you shoot the doe or a fawn. My opinion is that if you dont shoot the doe she will have two more fawns next year. If you shoot the doe the buck fawn will be a 1.5 year old next year and the doe fawn could possibly have fawns next year. I just dont see a difference from the management standpoint if you shoot the doe or the fawn.

elmoughler 11-25-2012 02:12 PM

You just opened a can of worms. Myself I will shoot a fawn with no worries. I did it earlier this week, she weighed 57lbs dressed. IMO I dont see anything wrong with it. I was ridiculed on another site for shooting that fawn, stating quote "I can't believe a grown man would shoot a fawn".

I also think that shooting the fawn instead of the doe has advantages as the doe could possibly produce twins or triplets the following spring.

Adirondack AL 11-25-2012 02:17 PM

In my opinion if you take the doe instead of the fawn you are sure not to shoot the button bucks. Both fawns could be bucks, I have seen triplets as three pointers once, that was very cool and rare I'm sure.
That's just my opinion though

OhioNovice 11-25-2012 03:05 PM

I wont shoot one with spots... other than that, its just meat on the table.

NebBuckHunter 11-25-2012 03:55 PM

If its legal, I guess there isn't anything wrong with it. You will have guys sticking their chests out on this one.

7.62NATO 11-26-2012 05:16 AM

Shooting fawns = yum yum. Shoot the fawns, not the momma. If momma is doing well and producing twins or trips, don't take her out. If you shoot the momma, the fawns have less time to learn from her and are more likely to get taken out anyway.

Uncle Nicky 11-26-2012 05:31 AM

I draw the lines at fawns with spots. And I would have to be pretty cold or desperate to shoot a button buck or yearling, there just isn't enough meat on them to make it worth my while.

MD DEERHUNTER 11-26-2012 06:24 AM

I see nothing wrong with shooting fawns, but for me personally I won't do it. Even though it would be much easier to drag a fawn out of the woods than dragging a mature deer. But I hunt on public hunting ground 1/2-mile in the woods. And if I'm going through all that work, I want to put as much deer meat in the freezer as I can.

Buckyou 11-26-2012 06:35 AM

fawns......... well.
I have shot small does which we call skips around here. Meaning you usuallly skip shooting.BUT sometimes it happens. I can say I GENERALLY won't shot them if they are with the mother or another deer. If it is by itself.... still depends on what time of the year/season.

SPOTS.....nah Get more meat from a Big MAC burger.

If it is hurt / limping.....gotta rethink it.

mr.mc54 11-26-2012 07:37 AM

I personally hunt for meat and don't have a prob with shooting a doe fawn. It kinda depends on how many deer we have in our area. If the deer pop is low, I won't shoot a doe as she will add to the population and fawns have a harder time surviving the winter. Just my opinion!:wink: