HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Got my best buck yet (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/375720-got-my-best-buck-yet.html)

ADVWannabee 11-25-2012 06:23 AM

Got my best buck yet

I have had a frustrating week of hunting. I moved to GA from VA this past summer and lost the hunting I had around my home. So I had to settle for hunting this past week with my FIL in VA. Now I usually hunt with him, but I am not use to only getting 1 week to hunt. Add to it that I was hunting a farm field and the guy who lived there liked to come outside and run the leaf blower right up until dark. Even though I am hundreds of yards away, the deer will not come out with any activity going on at the house. I started to suspect he was doing it on purpose! :confused0024:

Anyway, Friday morning I was in my blind and there was no sign at the house that the man was home. Turned out he slept in until 9:00 am and never knew I was there. :happy0001:

At about 7:25 am a doe stepped out a couple hundred yards away. It wasn't doe day and she didn't act like another deer was around so I wasn't too excited. Within a few minutes another deer appeared at the edge of the field and I knew it was a buck. I got a scope on it and sure enough it was a nice little 8 ptr. He followed the doe around and I got to witness something I have never seen, the buck mounted the doe a couple times. At least he died happy. :) Now I always figured an antsy doe meant a buck was around but this doe was not antsy. So I guess a doe that is ready and knows a buck is around acts casual. So now I will have to assume any doe I see could have a buck following.

They were too my right which is not the direction I had hoped for so I had a very awkward angle on them. I had to come off my bucket in the blind, get on my knee and poke the rifle out the right corner of the window. It was not ideal. They tried to cross the fence into the woods above me but the cows spooked them back into the field. They finally came around to where I could get a shot so I pulled the trigger. The buck dropped instantly. Turned out it was a bad shot that was a good one. Say what? I was aiming for the vitals and hit him in the base of the neck in the spine. I blame my awkward stance, my heavy breathing from watching them so long before shooting and any number of other factors. :o

I measured the shot at 86 yards with my GPS. Not far for a 30-06 but further than I have ever shot a deer. I am use to hunting smaller fields and woods where shots are closer.

So without further ado, here are the pics.

The buck:

My blind:

Curious onlookers:

Mojotex 11-25-2012 06:43 AM

Yeah ! Congradulations on your nice buck. I love the stories !!

NebBuckHunter 11-25-2012 08:08 AM

Congrats on a nice deer.

On another note, I would recommend brushing in your blind to break up its silouette a little.

elmoughler 11-25-2012 09:07 AM

Good job, nice looking buck.

reds10ss 11-25-2012 09:37 AM

great buck! beautitful country there in Va

Buckyou 11-25-2012 02:06 PM

SURE .....the little guy finally gets a piece of ass and you go killing him ! Just kidding nice buck ! Stinks about your land back home.
Anywho........keep it up !:kt:

dpv 11-25-2012 06:10 PM

Good looking deer. Great story. I have seen mating on my game cam but never seen it while I was hunting.

ADVWannabee 11-26-2012 03:31 AM

I forgot to mention on other item about this hunt. After I got the deer into the truck and I walked around to get in, I looked across the field to where this deer had come out and there stood a bigger buck! He was over an hour behind this one but probably trailing the same doe. After I got to the gate and passed through, I was looking back and the 2nd buck had come out and crossed the field. It was a county where you can only shoot one deer per day so I had to pass. Oh well, I was well pleased with my deer.

Buckyou 11-26-2012 03:53 AM

Is that a Browning BAR SAFARI .30-06 ?
Got the same one. HARDLY EVER USE IT...HAD IT FOR 10 YEARS OR SO. Too heavy, kicks like a donkey etc.
They work good if your 6'6" ! But they hit deer hard too.

ADVWannabee 11-26-2012 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Buckyou (Post 4008739)
Is that a Browning BAR SAFARI .30-06 ?
Got the same one. HARDLY EVER USE IT...HAD IT FOR 10 YEARS OR SO. Too heavy, kicks like a donkey etc.
They work good if your 6'6" ! But they hit deer hard too.

Yes it is and I absolutely love this gun. It is a bit heavy, but so am I at 6'2" and 220 lbs. :o I shoot it off a lead sled at the range so the recoil isn't bad. I don't even notice recoil when shooting a deer. It does kick you off of it but get em with the first shot you don't need a second one which does kind of defeat the purpose of a semi-auto. :wink:

As for hitting deer hard, if I get a shot anywhere close to right with the 165 grain Nosler Partition, it knocks them down right there. Only ever had 1 deer run out of site after getting hit with a 30-06 and that was with Winchester Silvertips, which is why I switched to Noslers.