Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
help! 9,11, or 12 point buck?? >

help! 9,11, or 12 point buck??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

help! 9,11, or 12 point buck??

Old 11-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Spike

Default help! 9,11, or 12 point buck??

i have a question! its probly such a stupid question.. but ive always been so confused about counting points.. ive always seen it as how many points you see, is what it is..
but my friend uploaded this pic and said "12 point"
then his friend uploaded a pic and it said "11 pointer" (of the same picture)

and im over here counting all the points and seein only 9.. maybe 11 it looks like there are two baby point sprouting on the first one.
i have no idea, anyones input would be great and really appreciated.

so how many points is the buck, and how?
thanks!

Attached Thumbnails help! 9,11, or 12 point buck??-photo-4-.jpg  
Old 11-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hate when guys say 17 pointer.... and it's an 8point with like 9 1/2" points...

that's why I've started saying "10pt main frame" etc.. or I'd say he's a 10pt with some junk....

most bucks will be 8 10 12pt main frames, of course 9 and 11pts are out there too.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

I see 10 points on the main rack. (The small point on the deer's left antler, or on the right side of the picture is hard to see as it blends with the main beam.). The Deers right brow tine also appears to be forked which your friend may be counting as an 11th point, but to me it doesn't look long enough to be counted.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:28 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
I see 10 points on the main rack. (The small point on the deer's left antler, or on the right side of the picture is hard to see as it blends with the main beam.). The Deers right brow tine also appears to be forked which your friend may be counting as an 11th point, but to me it doesn't look long enough to be counted.
Same here.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with the above.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am certainly not holding this rack, but it appears to be a 9 point by Boone and Crockett standards. Many folks down this way count any protrusion on which one can "hang a ring" as a point.

However, I feel that the B&C standard is fair and certainly brings consistency to those who are into "horn". One can go to the Boone and Crockett web site for the details .... the B&C definition of a point is essentially that it must protrude at least an inch from the base. The split of the G1 that is visible in this photo does not appear to me to be much more than a "split", and not long enough to be counted as a point - by this standard. Regardless of point count, this is a nice buck for sure and should have some nice sized back straps plus plenty of good rump roasts !
Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 AM
Spike

thank you guys! answered all my questions