Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How long does it take young bucks to get big? >

How long does it take young bucks to get big?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How long does it take young bucks to get big?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Saw a 4 pointer last night and I swear it had to be a fawn. Couldnt have weighed more that 65 pounds and already had a decent 4 point rack. It wasnt massive but it was obvious he had 4 points. Not like some young deer you gotta look through your scope on max power or use a good set of binoculars to tell if they are a buck. I could from just looking at him. Also didnt help that he walked right under me which is how I could tell how small he was. Hopefully he will turn out to be a really nice deer in 2-3 years if he was already a 4 pointer that young. That spike in the pic posted above was a lot bigger in comparison.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bukmastr
Here in S.E. Wisconsin I have shot 2 y/o bucks scoring as high as 160... Sometimes they just have to get past that 1st year.

This one was confirmed by the DNR as a 2 y/o and scored close to 140. I shot it two years ago on a deer drive.

This one I arrowed this fall and it scored close to 160. It too, was a 2 y/o

like to see the skull mount on that to look at the teeth if ya dont mind?
cypresss....on the mineral lick...ya kinda gotta point the deer to it, they have to be able to find it. sometimes baiting it with some corn or something so the deer can taste the dirt to figure out there is more than corn there. and yes any buck has the potential to be something huge. alot of guys cull bucks because the antlers arnt the same on both sides..i.e a 7 point or 9 point....when in fact they can grow out even sooner or later..i.e a 8 or 10 or even 12 point.
as far as its a 10 point it stays a 10 point..or 6 or whatever is absolutely not true. any deer has the potential to drop tines or hangers..stickers, whatever. dont believe the hype.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

that easily could be a 2.5yo buck in IL/WI.

Many guys often think a buck is much older than it is, which makes you wonder if bucks really did get to 4.5yo instead of 2.5yo how big they could be!? isn't the typical WR only 2.5 or 3.5yo?
Old 12-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Here is a Mid-Atlantic guide of 2.5, 3.5 and 5.5 year old 8 points.

WV
3.5 year old 8 on the left, 2.5 year old on the right, Notice the neck and antler thickness, the hind quarter was larger too but it's hard to tell in the pic.

PA

5.5 year old 8 point, notice the broad wide face, heavy neck, the mass.

Here he is beside a nice 3.5 year old PA buck as well. My buddy and I had GREAT WV and PA opening days!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

I was deleting some older pics and came across this guy taken a few weeks ago. Still looks like a 6 pointer but a damn nice one. Will let him walk if I ever see him but does he have some potential? Talked to the farmer today and he will be planting Soybeans next year. Dont know how good that is for antler growth.

Last edited by thomasmgp; 12-01-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
that easily could be a 2.5yo buck in IL/WI.

Many guys often think a buck is much older than it is, which makes you wonder if bucks really did get to 4.5yo instead of 2.5yo how big they could be!? isn't the typical WR only 2.5 or 3.5yo?
Yes, I believe the world record typical is a 3 Y/O in my neck of the woods most B&C bucks are only 3 1/2...
When they do grow old they can get huge, but most are killed way before they get old enough.
The 2 year olds here always weigh about 150 / 160 dressed... Really easy to tell...