Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ground hunting?

Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

On the state land I hunt, you have a snowball's chance in Hell of killing a deer on the ground. Hunt high!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by crokit
I sit alot and when I'm still hunting, I'm constantly on the look for wind transition areas. I've used this for more than 35 years, frankly with great success. All the deer in my albums came from sitting in these wind transitions.

When in good deer country, and wanting to hunt from the ground, find that spot where the wind, on any given day, regardless of the direction it is coming from, suddenly and consistently shifts. This is generally caused by a geographic feature of some sort. The best wind transition areas cause the scent to be ping-ponged back and forth, up and out. They cover a small area, and you can easily walk through them without realizing your in one. Coincidenlty, many times you'll find your areas biggest rubs in these spots.

This past evening, while sitting in a wind transition, I had 11 deer, less than 30 yards, milling around in nearly a full circle around me, including 2 small buck, and I was smoking { they came in before I could butt it out }.
this is interesting. I know there are areas like this, as you said where a terrain feature causes the wind to swirl and shift (usually down in valleys and sides of mountains etc), but ive never heard of these areas as being an attractant to deer. Do you think its due to the terrain feature itsself? I know areas like this are normally considered hard to hunt because of the shifting winds, never heard of someone seeking them out like that, would love to hear more