Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which rifle cartridge?

Old 11-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default Which rifle cartridge?

Indiana recently started allowing a limited number of rifle cartridges for deer firearms season. I usually hunt with my Encore muzzle loader because I like the accuracy and range compared to the shotgun. I haven't even looked yet but I am assuming I can get a rifle barrel in one of these calibers to hunt with during the firearms season. Are any of the rounds listed below "better" then my .50 cal. muzzle loader when it comes to range, accuracy, and knock down power.
Here is the quote from the rule book. Which of these would you go with or just stick with the ML?

I really like the way my ML shoots but I would not mind a little less cleaning.

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Theres an old saying, beware the man with one gun ,he probably knows how to use it.
Its part of the romance having to clean rifle before you go to bed but if you only dirty it on deer its worth it.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

I have been checking and it doesn't look like they sell many of these calibers in rifle barrels.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by monoped
Theres an old saying, beware the man with one gun ,he probably knows how to use it.
Its part of the romance having to clean rifle before you go to bed but if you only dirty it on deer its worth it.
It might be overkill but I clean my barrel after every shot. I don't tear it down but I run 3 or 4 of the cleaning patches in it until they come out clean and then a few dry ones. Just like this morning I killed a doe with it and re loaded it, just in case. Now before I go out hunting again I will un load it clean it and then re load it.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Depends how you are set financially on acquiring one of those calibers.
If i could get more use out of them i have toyed with matching a rifle with one of my revolvers.
Your 50 a nice size piece of lead,sounds like your caring for it too.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by monoped
Whoever said that obviously owned one gun. Knowing how to use multiple guns has its advantages I can assure you. Why in the world would I want to limit my shooting to deer. Nothing about this makes any sense.
.44 mag
Old 11-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Spike

Would a .357 max fit the criteria? I think they make a barrel for that round.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skb2706
Whoever said that obviously owned one gun. Knowing how to use multiple guns has its advantages I can assure you. Why in the world would I want to limit my shooting to deer. Nothing about this makes any sense.
.44 mag
O.p. topic is Indiana deer. With most calibers allowed being more in the pistol range the 50 cal i.m.o. is going to be just fine. Were poster looking to use a new rifle on other species it would be different. Till game chosen caliber moot. If hunting pronghorn or moose in future =another rifle (or two), not knowing budget or future hunting plans .....
Have guns in the teens but the go to,s are versatile enough to cover alot of ground. Have you shot competitively outside of 3 gun competition with multiple guns and out shot the top one gun users? If so your better at it than i.

Last edited by monoped; 11-22-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:41 AM
Banned

I'm curious why a .44 magnum wouldn't be a good choice. Federals' ballistics show over 1000 ft lbs at 100 yards with minimal drop. Should be fine for most situations?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Would be good. With reloading options even better,sqib loads for plinking and Elmer Kieth style bullets for heavy wet work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.