Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 deer not to smart this time of year? >

deer not to smart this time of year?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer not to smart this time of year?

Old 09-16-2003, 10:09 AM

Default deer not to smart this time of year?

whats wrong with the deer this time of year?last week I went to my stand ,to find a ok 9 point at my feeder, I walked up to 15 yards of him, and then he just walked off in no hurry. I climbed into my stand, and with in 2 or 3 min he was back, I had to shoo him off in order to get out of my stand. Last sunday I went dove hunting saw a deer off in the distance, I figgured I would see what it was , again I walked into the mesquite thicket it went into, and this time it was a6 point and I got even closer. about 10 yards. I thought OK these deer all had brain damage from the exteream heat we had here this summer.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer not to smart this time of year?

Not sure. Only thing I can think of is that it' s been a while since they were hunted and have cooled off a bit. thats really close to be getting to a deer though.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was dove hunting while a young doe was feeding in the same field about 70 yards away. I shot 2 shots at (and missed) a dove and the deer never left. It looked over for a few seconds and continued to feed. Things will change by November. They' re always less wary in Summer and early Fall.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-16-2003, 12:41 PM

Saturday I drove the four wheeler into a field to see if there was any deer there and there was a small 6 point and a small 4 point, they kept staring at me even when I kept getting closer, they were in the middle of the field about 50 yards away from me, they just calmly walked off into the woods.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

As somone put it so pefectly.
" The game animals know when the Lions are serious."
Old 09-16-2003, 01:14 PM

Yea , but wait until the season comes in. I have been watching 2 nice bucks behind my house. They have ben coming to my feeder about 1 hour before dark. Sat. was opening of bow season and they did not come to the feeder until 9:45. They just know when the season comes in !
Old 09-16-2003, 02:57 PM
Matriarch Doe!

I' m pretty sure wild animals' noses are particularly sensitive to the plastic used to make those little license-wallets they give you when you buy your tags. They can smell if you have one!
Old 09-16-2003, 03:18 PM

Dontcha know deer and turkeys ARE literate? They read the same pamphlet by the Game & Fish Dept that you and I do. They know when its their season and when they can get some " R&R" . The place I hunt in southern MO is INFESTED with turkeys and has quite a few deer as well. Getting close to turkeys while deerhunting is easy and they are actually annoying at times. Yet try the same in April when they are " tablefare" and see what happens. The same go for deer. It takes some work to walk up on a deer during season, but we continuously get within bowrange of them during the spring while turkey hunting.

They aint quite as stupid as some would have you believe,
RA
Old 09-16-2003, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Them deer got into someones pot patch,and then eat hemp for desert
Old 09-16-2003, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

RE: deer not to smart this time of year? (in reply to david in oklahoma)

As somone put it so pefectly.
" The game animals know when the Lions are serious."

Quick Reply: deer not to smart this time of year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.