Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Can you belive this bull$*@&?!?!?!!?!?!?!? >

Can you belive this bull$*@&?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can you belive this bull$*@&?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Old 12-05-2012, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
Jasonlester, that just goes to show there are dishonest people no matter where you go.

A few years back i had a doe come right below my stand coughing, yes coughing. I shot her. When I got down I noticed the big hole in her neck from a shotgun. I field dressed her, dragged her out of the way and got back in my stand. Nobody came by and we had a nice coating of snow on the ground. When i got down I tagged her and took her home.

As far as I am concerned, every neck shot isnt a done deal. If they fall you got them if they didn't you must have missed, well I know first hand thats not the way it is.

And anyone that hunts with me follows my rule, period. first fatal hit not just first blood. That can work both ways too. I shot a buck a few years ago in the back hip. In the rain. There was 4 of us trailing it, good enough blood trail to follow. Made it to the woods and 2 of us stayed on the blood and 1 each on either side. The guy to one side found the buck laying down, still alive but not getting up. he asked if I wanted to finish him or should he, I had him do it just to put the deer out. That case it was my deer but if he ran into someone we didnt know there was no way I could have taken that deer and felt good about it.
Your exactly right. First fatal hit gets the deer IMO. With one exception for me. If the first shooter is a youth. If they want a deer after I put it down I will most likely give it to them...Some of that depends on how they act toward me though too...I hunt private property and so far have good neighbors but we will see in the future.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:38 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry for the late reply. But the gamewarden just took the deer and settled it that way!
crazy what people will do for a deer.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

Oh your so tough over the net deepcree lol!dont worry i wont,i hunt sask.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shot an 8 point coming up a fenceline I was watching one morning early in the 1967 MI gun season with my new 12 gauge Model 1200 Winchester slug gun. Before I even started gutting it out a couple came out of nowhere and said I was taking the deer that she had shot and were tracking. I looked a little closer at the buck and found a perfect hole through one ear from her slug. Rather than argue with them because they were so adamant that it was their deer, I let them tag it and kept on hunting. I figured that if they could trail that deer with the little bit of blood that was coming from that ear hole that she deserved it. A day or two later at that same spot I shot a beautiful 10 pointer that is the best one I've shot down here in southern MI.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-05-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 AM
Spike

I would have just let them have it in the first place since they hit it to begin with. Somewhat irrelevant that it was not a 'fatal' hit if it had just happened and they were following it up.............. which they obviously were as they got there in time to rudely take it away. It is just a deer.

On the other hand it would probably have never been an issue with me because unless it was a big old heavy racked 5x5 i would never have pulled the trigger in the first place and let it go.

Last edited by Mooswa; 12-06-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

Must have been shot good enough to track it, especially since they were idiots. Hate people like that. This is the problem with hunting. Get your buck at all cost. This proves you are a man hunter mentallity!!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hmmmm...

Originally Posted by deerslyer11
A guy that my family knows was hunting some public land. I heard a shot from private land and looked to see a nice 8 point running his way. He shot and dropped it. When he went over to the deer he noticed that they did hit the deer but really high in the back end and it wasnt going to die. He proceeded to gut and tag the deer, then put the deer on his deer carrier and started taking it out of the woods. Then 4 guys who has originally shot the deer walked up, ripped the tag off the deer and stole the deer. I only know what happened up to this point. The game warden was contacted. What would you do in this situation?
You stated that the GW was contacted? What was his/hers determination? That said, if it were me, I would have told them "yes. I seen your deer, it was running at top end speed that-a-way!" This one here is mine, see the tag. I would stand my ground until the GW got there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning a gunfight, but they would have to forceably take the deer from me, once they've done that NOW I have a case. Explain to the GW when he gets there that they took your legally tagged deer from you by force and intimidation. But thats me.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
Jasonlester, that just goes to show there are dishonest people no matter where you go.

A few years back i had a doe come right below my stand coughing, yes coughing. I shot her. When I got down I noticed the big hole in her neck from a shotgun. I field dressed her, dragged her out of the way and got back in my stand. Nobody came by and we had a nice coating of snow on the ground. When i got down I tagged her and took her home.

As far as I am concerned, every neck shot isnt a done deal. If they fall you got them if they didn't you must have missed, well I know first hand thats not the way it is.

And anyone that hunts with me follows my rule, period. first fatal hit not just first blood. That can work both ways too. I shot a buck a few years ago in the back hip. In the rain. There was 4 of us trailing it, good enough blood trail to follow. Made it to the woods and 2 of us stayed on the blood and 1 each on either side. The guy to one side found the buck laying down, still alive but not getting up. he asked if I wanted to finish him or should he, I had him do it just to put the deer out. That case it was my deer but if he ran into someone we didnt know there was no way I could have taken that deer and felt good about it.
WNY,
First off, howdy fellow NYer
I am a bit unsure of how this one plays out.

Obviously you want to dispatch the animal so it does not needlessly suffer, but it also sounds like the neck shot was a mortal wound.

Would this deer go to the first shooter had they tracked the deer to your position?

Thank you,

John
Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

People in Michigan are some of the nicest people you could ever meet till the fire arm deer season opens. then all the slugs and A Holes come out of the wood work. Tresspass laws and just plain common secnce leave many at the door going to the out side.

The put blinds in some of the stupidest places too. One guy set his blind next to some of my beehives at a out yard. I told him to move it as I wasn't going to not check the hives during deer season so would be back as we were winter feeding. He left it there so we told the land owner we were taking the bees away. 5 days latter when we went to get the bees the land owner had dozed the guys blind in a pile. He had been told by the owner to move it and didn't.

We have posted property, Michigan law says you need my permission to come on my property even to recover a deer. Crossing my back fence line and following a deer till it is by my house is not the time to ask permission.

4 guys with guns they can have the deer and welcome to it as long as they leave me with my life and some Michigan deer hunter would probably shoot you over a deer.

Al
Old 03-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Spike

IMO he who shoots and kills and tags deer, it's his....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.