Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Can you belive this bull$*@&?!?!?!!?!?!?!? >

Can you belive this bull$*@&?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can you belive this bull$*@&?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skinnnner
From a moral standpoint we would just consider it helping a guy out get his deer.but i guess there isnt a whole lot of that anymore.
While it certainly is a moral issue.
Its also theft, on the part of the first party, to expect a deer that the second party has fatally killed, to then release it.

Now, if you made a good "fatal" shot on that deer. Than you're probably close enough that I can hear it.

Than, there probably isn't an issue here. But, I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree, and also not hunt anywhere near each other.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

I'm pretty surprised at all the "first shot gets the deer no matter what" mentalities here. It's hard for me to believe, and you'd be hard pressed to get MY deer if you follow a deer a half-mile or more after shooting it in the leg and expect to take the meat/rack from me after I put a lethal shot on it. If you put the effort into following that deer, that's awesome. Props to you for putting forth every effort to recover wounded game, but something non-lethal like a leg shot doesn't entitle you to that animal. To those saying the hunter who shoots a wounded animal isn't 100% entitled to the animal must not hunt anywhere near any other person or road, otherwise any deer they shoot that might've had their natural routine interrupted by another person or car or whatever also wouldn't be able to take 100% claim over the animal by that same reasoning. If the neighbors do a drive and the deer comes onto your land and you shoot it, does that entitle the neighbors to that deer since they pushed it?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

How do you know, for sure, which shot is which? Honestly, unless you see blood pouring out, before you shoot, how do you know which hole is which ?

We've all seen heart/lung shot deer go a good distance, who's to say a second shot hitting high and far back owuldn't knock a deer that is already weak, off it's feet?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

I am sure there are borderline situations. A critically wounded deer that runs several hundred yards and is finished off by someone else is such a case. I would hope that decency could kick in. But the OP seemed to be referring to a case where the other 4 forcefully took the deer - and possibly with deadly intimidation. Or worse yet, like when my dad shot a deer that a bunch of rednecks claimed it for their own without even firing a shot. It can get ugly in a hurry when a few guys armed with guns and under the influence perhaps start pretending they are in an old western movie - this type of intimidation via weapon in hand can not be allowed.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am sure that even with a gun in your hand, it would be pretty intimidating to face 4, likewise armed people in the middle of the woods! Probably better to just let them have it! The deer that is!!! Otherwise, the last shot should get the deer, especially if the deer traveled several hundred yards and did not appear wounded.
I'm sorry, I just have never seen a lethally shot deer travel more than 2-300 yards! Personally, I have never had a deer run much over 100 yards! I have tracked deer for 6 hours and aprox. 2.5 miles with a drop of blood here and there, only to have the blood trail stop with no deer! Probably pushed the deer too hard and too fast! But, it's the proudest tracking job I've ever done without recovering the deer.
Anyway, thats a pretty sad bunch to have to go 4 on 1 to steal a deer!

Last edited by JagMagMan; 11-20-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its funny I read this story now for I just had this happen here in Il last weekend, our first firearms season here in Il.
I pull up to my hunting spot at second day of season, see a REALLY nice 10pt chasing a doe in a cut bean field at 1330hrs and they bed down there in wide open, seeing me. I change clothes, make a stalk of about 150yds, doe busts me. Both stand up. I am on ground with shooting sticks and ML. Guesstamate distance, set crosshairs accordingly, send it. Buck is facing me, I take a front on chest shot. 50cal, 110grns powder, 250grn Hornady SST bullet.

Buck crunches up, turns and across field to neighbors small timber patch. I leave deer go till 3pm. Hear another gunshot about 20 minutes after I shot my deer on farther up neighboring block. Go to timber edge where deer ran in. No blood. Find blood inside and began tracking. Sparse, but decent. Cover 200yds, blood runs out in open cut bean field, on hands and knees last 75yds, nothing.
Gets dark. Go home. Next day, see truck at neighbors property and as am leaving note to call me, owner of truck walks up. I introduce myself and tell my blight. He tells me he heard me shoot and short time later sees buck running at him with doe but buck was was acting hit pretty good, finishes him off with neck shot and her in the ribs. Both down.
He said he looked for me, but did not see me or my truck. I park at landowners house by barn and walk in to keep from tearing up road.
I ask about how bad the buck was hit and he said that it had missed the heart and lungs, slid along the brisket, hit tip of liver and busted up the guts, lodged in rear left hip. I told him that I was glad he got it for I had no blood to continue to follow it and he was another 500 yds away from where I had lost blood. I shook his hand and left. Content the deer was not coyote food. I still have not filled my tag. I would not have taken the deer if he had offered it. I did not kill it in my book.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

rules around my parts are 1st VITAL SHOT...heart, lung, etc. Grazing the deers ass, or a leg won't kill it, so it is the first kill shot.

I remember about 10 years ago...they call it the KOWALSKI BUCK. Shot on 9 acres of land in Manorville NY. 3 friends were hunting this lot the same day.........1st guy shot it in the ass. It ran..2nd guy shot low and knicked it. it ran 3rd guy spined and killed it.
3rd guy wins.
The funny thing is.........the Kowalski buck was like 27 points non typical and scored gross 243 or some crap ! UNREAL BUCK, but you got to hit it in a vital. bottom line.

I am hard pressed to believe I was leaving my deer with 4 chumps.
Not unless they were dragging it out for me !
Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Even though the guys were *******s I have to take their side. They drew first blood and had the every right to track the deer. Just because you think it wasnt a mortal wound dosnt mean the deer wouldnt have dropped dead after running another 100 yards. Also did you do perform a balistics report in the field to determine that it wasnt your bullet that hit him in the ass? If they had 4 guys together it seems like they were making an effort to track the deer. Had they just given up on it then Id say they had no right to it.

Last edited by thomasmgp; 11-24-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Spike

I'd have to go with first shot to anywhere in the body/legs(not some shot that blew off an antler or it's tail lol). I shot a deer in the a$$/hip w/my bow one time. Took for ever to track it and a fresh thin layer of snow helped out a ton but I finally was able to find it. Still alive but couldn't get up an run any more due to loss of blood/exhaustion. We've all made bad shots before and it might take forever to find the deer, but eventually they will die anyway and the original shooter has an obligation to do everything he/she can to find that deer they shot, regardless of how bad the shot was. Now the way the 4 guys acted is a diff story, had someone came up to me like that then I'd prob told them to F off and kept the deer out of spite but if they were polite, etc then I'd give the deer up due to them getting first shot.

Last edited by blb078; 11-24-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why would you want a deer someone else ruined a large amount of meat on? I can see shooting it so it doesn't suffer.

The four guys were idiots, for tearing off the guys tag, and taking the deer that's for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.