Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Can you belive this bull$*@&?!?!?!!?!?!?!? >

Can you belive this bull$*@&?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can you belive this bull$*@&?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Can you belive this bull$*@&?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

A guy that my family knows was hunting some public land. I heard a shot from private land and looked to see a nice 8 point running his way. He shot and dropped it. When he went over to the deer he noticed that they did hit the deer but really high in the back end and it wasnt going to die. He proceeded to gut and tag the deer, then put the deer on his deer carrier and started taking it out of the woods. Then 4 guys who has originally shot the deer walked up, ripped the tag off the deer and stole the deer. I only know what happened up to this point. The game warden was contacted. What would you do in this situation?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by deerslyer11
A guy that my family knows was hunting some public land. I heard a shot from private land and looked to see a nice 8 point running his way. He shot and dropped it. When he went over to the deer he noticed that they did hit the deer but really high in the back end and it wasnt going to die. He proceeded to gut and tag the deer, then put the deer on his deer carrier and started taking it out of the woods. Then 4 guys who has originally shot the deer walked up, ripped the tag off the deer and stole the deer. I only know what happened up to this point. The game warden was contacted. What would you do in this situation?
It's truly amazing what you will experience while deer hunting now days
Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like those guys weren't leaving without that deer. With attitudes like that and firearms involved, I'd have let them take it and try and get their backtag numbers if possible. No deer is worth risking your life. Might've been a good idea to snap some photos right away after tagging to help identify it later.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:12 AM
Spike

This same thing happened to my neighbor but the two parties worked it out and split the meat. The final kill should be the person who gets to tag it. If the other group wanted it that bad they should have shot it better.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

i usually carry more than 4 bullets in my gun, wouldnt have been a problem. coulda prolly got 2 guys with one bullet if ya line em up right, but it aint worth the time you will spend in jail. its just a deer. hard to live through a gun shot with out medical attention, so the deer woulda died eventually. let it go, find another.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

I would have just let it go. Now if the deer had ran onto his private property that would have been handled much different.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Photos good. Of deer and a-holes. Cut a little wedge out of tongue to i.d.. have heard of a dime being put in a slit of hide.
Yes it is b.s.. a killing shot is usually obvious and i don,t want someone else's deer, till brain runs out of oxygen they can cover a lot of ground with a heart or lung shot.
In Mi. who ever reduces it to law full possession (basicly by touching it) gets ownership.
We don,t wear backtags anymore,the last year we had to wear them some genus chose brown for color!
Because i don,t chase them anymore with wheel chair all three this year were pinned through shoulders. Cost some meat but anchors deer.

Last edited by monoped; 11-19-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

That is pretty sad. Would be hard to prove I think. Next time the fellow needs to bring a camera, make an identifying mark on the deer, and quickly snap a photo. Let them take the deer and quickly call sheriff and warden. I would think this would qualify as armed robbery as well as a game law violation. Guys like these 4 need to have their licenses revoked and guns taken away for good.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by monoped
Cut a little wedge out of tongue to i.d.. have heard of a dime being put in a slit of hide.
Great ideas if you are planning to leave the deer in the woods to retrieve it later.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

I like the idea of cutting a chunk out of the tongue or something like that, especially if you think there might be people following it and their hit wasn't a killing shot or if you need to leave the deer to retrieve it later. I'm not sure a warden would be able to do much in a situation like that, I just don't know that they'll get involved or be able to say it's his deer not his deer. I had a slightly similar situation last season, hit a buck and wounded it (non-lethal shot) and pushed it to within 30 yards of my buddy and he dropped it. I followed the blood trail right to him and we looked the deer over, saw my hit wasn't good, and he tagged it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.