Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

treestand hunting

Old 11-18-2012, 02:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default treestand hunting

i see a topic come up here often with treestands and blinds. people like blinds and dont like treestands and vice versa. a problem that i have is i dont like treestand heights. i will get in a treestand, but i just start shaking takes me a bit to calm down. my question is has anybody tried overcoming this and what did they do? thanks for any input. i would guess one would be practice during summer with treestand near house but is there other ways?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default It is different

Not every hunter is a tree climber and not every tree climber is a hunter. But tree climbing is so meshed today with hunting, you'd think it was the same thing.
There are people involved in tree climbing today that amazes me. And there's a lot of people who think leaving equipment behind, like a tree stand, is a good idea.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe hunt out of a buddy stand. Gives you more room and make you less nervous
Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Spike

wearing and practicing with a safety harness should help calm you down . wear it.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Don't go above your comfort level. My comfort level is 20ft and under. I do have 2 bow stands that are in nice oak trees that are about 30ft. But these trees have a lot around to feel secure.

Always wear a harness this really helped me.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Spike

Try using 16ft ladder stands with the rails that surround you and the bigger seats with a backrest that swivels. Should make you feel alot more secure. Hang on stands are nice when you want to put a stand at any height but ladder stands are much more stable and have more room in them (with the correct ladder stand that is). I use hang ons mostly due to the fact that they are easy to hang by myself but I prefer a big ladder stand for comfort and stability on windy days. Use a harness at the same time and you should feel much better
Old 11-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elauwit
wearing and practicing with a safety harness should help calm you down . wear it.
I'll second this advice.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try a stand with a bigger platform.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Yea I am not afraid of heights but I'm a big fellow (6'7 230lbs) so I have always had a nightmare of a strap breaking or the platform breaking. I mostly bow hunt so I am probably a little higher than i should be in the tree. I started wearing a harness when i started doing dark to dark sits and it definitely gives you a piece of mind. I know a lot of people don't like them but i never go in the woods without it.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't worry about the strap breaking on you brother. As for the tree stand breaking, I'd replace the ratchet straps on hang-ons annually. As for climbers, ensure they're rated for your weight and you should be fine. Having a harness is a must for anyone who hunts in a tree stand. Law of averages say: "it's not a question of if, but when you will fall from a tree stand". 99% (other 1% of deaths in tree stands are from natural causes) of deaths from tree stands can be prevented from the use of a TMA Approved Harness. Why even play any games with that? The evolution of harnesses has made them so good that most people don't even know they have them on these days.

Originally Posted by AquamanPSD
Yea I am not afraid of heights but I'm a big fellow (6'7 230lbs) so I have always had a nightmare of a strap breaking or the platform breaking. I mostly bow hunt so I am probably a little higher than i should be in the tree. I started wearing a harness when i started doing dark to dark sits and it definitely gives you a piece of mind. I know a lot of people don't like them but i never go in the woods without it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.