Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How many bucks can you take in your state? >

How many bucks can you take in your state?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many bucks can you take in your state?

Old 11-18-2012, 03:53 AM
Typical Buck

Here in Ontario each year depending on the draws you enter is different but you are always guaranteed one Buck. This year I could take 4 Bucks and 1 Doe. The Doe is a archery only tag and two of tags are either antlered or antlerless during the Muzzleloader hunt in Dec. It can get quiet confusing as it changes year to year in some management unit areas.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

3 in Jackson County TN.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mac266
Colorado = 1 deer per year. Licenses will specify whether it's a buck or doe tag, and you only get ONE, not one of both. I put in for deer this year but didn't draw ANY license.

Virginia = up to six deer per year. It all depends on where you hunt and what you hunt with. If a guy hunts archery, muzzleloader, rifle/shotgun, and then back to archery, and hunts in areas which require does be shot before a second buck is shot, a guy could bag all six deer, conceivably. I don't know anyone who has done it, though. As you can see, Virginia's laws are quite complex.

Iowa = one deer per year. Some licenses are buck only, some doe only, and some "any sex" (i.e. the first thing you see and shoot fills your tag).

I've hunted in all these states, but it's been awhile since I hunted in Iowa. Perhaps it's changed.
1 buck tag for either gun season (shotgun/muzzle) and 1 buck tag for archery. If you are landowners you can get an additional buck tag. So unless you archery hunt or own your own hunting land then your allowed one buck tag.
You can get numerous doe tags I believe. I only buy a couple every year anyway.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dpv
In my part of VA (east of the blue ridge) 2 per day, 6 per year. 3 must be does...so you could take 3 bucks. and 3 does or 6 does...your call...also on private land I can go buy bonus doe tags and take more. Last year I took 4 bucks and 2 doe. This year I have 2 buck and 1 doe....son also took a doe. Freezer is full. Called a neighbor today and couldn't even give the venison away. First time ever.

If you hunt the Urban Archery season in VA and were willing to purchase the bonus deer permits, you could kill 2 doe per day from the first weekend in September through the last weekend in March. I'm not going to do the math but theoretically, that could add up to a lot of deer!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

In NY your regular license gets you one buck tag. You can apply for 1 or 2 doe permit depending on your area. Then you can get two tags for either bow or MZ. I think these are 1 doe and 1 either sex tag.

So in a given year you can shoot up to two bucks, and three does. Or 1 buck and up to three does.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

in MD you get one buck tag for each season (bow,muzzleloader,shotgun) then if you shoot two does you can buy a aditional buck tag so you can shoot up 4 bucks
Old 11-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

One antlered deer in KS. You can fill it anyway you want but if you shout horns, you're done.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Spike

Two. One must have at least 4 points, one inch or longer, on one side of the antlers.