Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How many bucks can you take in your state? >

How many bucks can you take in your state?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many bucks can you take in your state?

Old 11-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default How many bucks can you take in your state?

Was wondering if states with 1 buck/year might lend themselves to produce bigger bucks, ie... guys might be more apt to pass nice bucks in hopes of a monster?

Also guys may be less likely to "share tags" illegal or not, because a guy doesn't want another guy burning his only tag, whereas if you have 2 tags, more guys might be cool with that.

IL- 2 bucks per year.

Would a 1 buck limit help increase trophy size/buck/age structure?

Would 1 buck limit poaching/tag sharing? ie... guys will share their 2nd tag, but their 1st/only buck tag much less likely to share.

Last edited by salukipv1; 11-17-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Here in indiana you only allowed 1 buck a year.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Colorado = 1 deer per year. Licenses will specify whether it's a buck or doe tag, and you only get ONE, not one of both. I put in for deer this year but didn't draw ANY license.

Virginia = up to six deer per year. It all depends on where you hunt and what you hunt with. If a guy hunts archery, muzzleloader, rifle/shotgun, and then back to archery, and hunts in areas which require does be shot before a second buck is shot, a guy could bag all six deer, conceivably. I don't know anyone who has done it, though. As you can see, Virginia's laws are quite complex.

Iowa = one deer per year. Some licenses are buck only, some doe only, and some "any sex" (i.e. the first thing you see and shoot fills your tag).

I've hunted in all these states, but it's been awhile since I hunted in Iowa. Perhaps it's changed.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mac266
Colorado = 1 deer per year. Licenses will specify whether it's a buck or doe tag, and you only get ONE, not one of both. I put in for deer this year but didn't draw ANY license.

Virginia = up to six deer per year. It all depends on where you hunt and what you hunt with. If a guy hunts archery, muzzleloader, rifle/shotgun, and then back to archery, and hunts in areas which require does be shot before a second buck is shot, a guy could bag all six deer, conceivably. I don't know anyone who has done it, though. As you can see, Virginia's laws are quite complex.

Iowa = one deer per year. Some licenses are buck only, some doe only, and some "any sex" (i.e. the first thing you see and shoot fills your tag).

I've hunted in all these states, but it's been awhile since I hunted in Iowa. Perhaps it's changed.
No...a list b for whitetail doe on the eastern plains gets you two.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

NC. 6 deer per year. 4 deer are winter choice and 2 are doe. We can get more doe tags if needed.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Spike

In Vermont you can shoot 3 deer total. UP To 2 can be bucks but only 1 per season.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:12 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

In my part of VA (east of the blue ridge) 2 per day, 6 per year. 3 must be does...so you could take 3 bucks. and 3 does or 6 does...your call...also on private land I can go buy bonus doe tags and take more. Last year I took 4 bucks and 2 doe. This year I have 2 buck and 1 doe....son also took a doe. Freezer is full. Called a neighbor today and couldn't even give the venison away. First time ever.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Spike

Arkansas: 6 six tags < 2 bucks, 4 does< or all does by any legal method.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

1 .
Old 11-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

No state is the same. States have different deer populations; different numbers of deer hunters available; different minimums on antler sizes harvested.

If you own 1500 acres or more, you can set up stricter restrictions on deer harvested. If you hunt public land, it can come down to what's available in the square mile or 10 acres you're hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.