HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Killed a 50 lb doe, was that OK? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/375413-killed-50-lb-doe-ok.html)

RP8 11-16-2012 04:04 PM

Killed a 50 lb doe, was that OK?

I hadn't been hunting in about 20 years and killed a 50 lb doe. The land owner's ecologist said he needed to kill 9 does and 3 bucks off his 100 acres this year and the owner said he didn't care what I shot except for young bucks. I hunted 2 mornings saw some young bucks (4-6 point 100+ lbs) but all the doe I saw were really small. I saw about 8 does and finally shot one on the second morning.

I think she was somewhere between 1.5-2.5 years old. I took a bit of a ribbing from another hunter for shooting something so small. Was there anything wrong with killing a doe this young & small, ethically speaking? It was a clean kill, straight through the lungs with a .308 and the animal did not suffer much. The landowner was happy with it. The meat is just for me and is more than enough for the year. I didn't weigh her on a scale but she felt about the same as a 50 lb bag of corn. Thoughts?

Oh yeah, this was in central Texas if it matters.

NebBuckHunter 11-16-2012 04:09 PM

It doesn't matter what other people think. As long as you're happy, that's all that matters. Plus you helped the land owner. Nothing ethically wrong with killing a small doe.

WV Hunter 11-16-2012 04:13 PM

Nope, not a thing. Good job filling your tag and helping on the quota!

7.62NATO 11-16-2012 04:18 PM

It is a personal goal of mine to kill one fawn per season. I love venison, and a young, small deer is by far the tastiest you'll find. It doesn't matter their or size; all deer want to live as eagerly as the next. So why does their size matter to us?

elmoughler 11-16-2012 04:24 PM

Its your choice. For me I'll shoot the first one that walks by. Feeds my family

RP8 11-16-2012 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO (Post 4005929)
It is a personal goal of mine to kill one fawn per season. I love venison, and a young, small deer is by far the tastiest you'll find. It doesn't matter their or size; all deer want to live as eagerly as the next. So why does their size matter to us?

Thanks for the responses everyone, you're backing up what I suspected to be the case but wasn't sure because of my long absence from hunting. Personally I didn't care about the size much, although a bigger doe was what the landowner described as optimal. After the first morning he said I might just need to go ahead and take a small one the next day, so I did.

Love the avatar by the way, the kill was with an 18.5" M14 (semi auto) with iron sights paced off right at 100 yards. Hornady 155gr Amax.

tj_cubin 11-16-2012 04:44 PM

If your ok with it, the landowner is ok with it, the law is ok with it, then there's no problem.

My only concern is shooting a doe that small might turn out to be a button buck.

Night Crawler 11-16-2012 05:00 PM

Man I love small does. I do only take does with a bow so I don't mistake a button.
Man 4 to 5 under 100# doe is candy

skb2706 11-16-2012 07:15 PM

M14 ? or M1A1?
What does a 50 lb deer dress out to in meat? Something like 20 lb
My Thanksgiving turkey is bigger.

isatarak 11-16-2012 07:55 PM

Nothing wrong with it, but it was a young fawn. At that size, it's pretty hard to tell them from a buck fawn at a distance. That's what you have to look out for. A two year old doe would weigh about 100# at least.