Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Killed a 50 lb doe, was that OK? >

Killed a 50 lb doe, was that OK?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Killed a 50 lb doe, was that OK?

Old 11-20-2012, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like the land owner a paid some money to an econolgist to tell him that the deer population is out of control. In this instance take them down. Fawns are good because you are taking a mouth out of the feeding population. Plus the taste really good! Like everyone else said if you have be sure that it's not a button buck, Ive made the mistake before, then take her down! On another note I don't know that I have ever seen a 50-60# deer?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Hey, don't worry about what others say. You made a good clean kill, you have vittles in the freezer, the landowner is happy, you had some good clean fun. What more can you ask for? After 20 years of not hunting it had to be like the first time again huh? Hope you were fired up and it got you back into the sport that we all love so much.. We all have different opinions on what to shoot and what not to shoot, there was a post on here last week about is it ethical to shoot a small buck or not, lots of different opinions. I personally don't shoot small bucks, does it make it a bad thing if someone does? NOT AT ALL. Just my opinion, I like to see them young bucks get a chance to get to there potential, doesn't mean that I am against someone who does. I am glad you got back in the saddle and put the hammer down on a good eating deer.. Congrats man...
Old 11-20-2012, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

And, in South Texas, a 50 pound deer may not be a fawn.... May be a 1.5 or 2.5 yr old deer... Good job...
Old 11-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

My doe I just got Wed was 57lbs dressed. Ya it was a fawn but nothing wrong with that