Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Killed a 50 lb doe, was that OK? >

Killed a 50 lb doe, was that OK?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Killed a 50 lb doe, was that OK?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
M14 ? or M1A1?
What does a 50 lb deer dress out to in meat? Something like 20 lb
My Thanksgiving turkey is bigger.
"M1A" is a trademarked designation for Springfield Armory's production rifle based on the rifle designated by the DOD as the U.S. M14 Rifle (which was produced by several arms manufactuers). Calling any M14 variant an M14 is fine, but calling RP8's incredibly aweome LRB M14sa an "M1A1" would be incorrect.

And your point with the turkey is...? Ever seen a 50# wild turkey?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RP8
Love the avatar by the way, the kill was with an 18.5" M14 (semi auto) with iron sights paced off right at 100 yards. Hornady 155gr Amax.
I started hunting only several years ago and my first kills were with my M1A Scout, which was my first centerfire rifle. Turkey at 150 yards with the irons and a doe at 15 yards with irons. The sights on the Garands and M14s are just awesome. Unless it is low light. I remember a couple of does walking out into a field at last light on the last day of the season. 40-yard chip shots, and could see them fine. But I could not see through the peep sight. Could not pick up the front sight, and could not shoot. I was not happy. I now have an Aimpoint 2 MOA site mounted up there and am very happy with that. Its so fast it will make your head spin!

LRBsa. You got me jealous. What's the makeup of the gun? USGI parts or other? Stock?
Old 11-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

texas has dog deer, we know! shooting a smaller one and lettin the bigger doe go is the best choice, as the bigger/older doe is more likely to produce twins this year and the years to come. you are not wasting meat? good to go. might need a couple more of those, thats why we get 5 tags.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:47 PM
RP8
Spike

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I started hunting only several years ago and my first kills were with my M1A Scout, which was my first centerfire rifle. Turkey at 150 yards with the irons and a doe at 15 yards with irons. The sights on the Garands and M14s are just awesome. Unless it is low light. I remember a couple of does walking out into a field at last light on the last day of the season. 40-yard chip shots, and could see them fine. But I could not see through the peep sight. Could not pick up the front sight, and could not shoot. I was not happy. I now have an Aimpoint 2 MOA site mounted up there and am very happy with that. Its so fast it will make your head spin!

LRBsa. You got me jealous. What's the makeup of the gun? USGI parts or other? Stock?
I had lrb supply most of the parts and build the rifle. The gas system, op rod, and sights are all GI as far as i can tell. The barrel is a chrome lined criterion. I use a springfield armory inc. synthetic stock with the flip up, gi-style butt plate. I also use a gi fiberglass stock on it occassionaly, but usually prefer the 9 oz weight savings the springfield stock provides (rifle weighs 8.3 lbs unloaded). A national match width front sight and vortex flash suppressor round it out.

Aimpoints are nice, I have a micro on another rifle and like it. I'm sure it works well on the scout. I find that with the irons I need to limit my shooting to 15 minutes after sunrise/before sunset if it's clear, 30 if it's cloudy, but I enjoy the slight extra challenge and sleeker profile of the iron sighted rifle; granted I still carry binocs for a better look before I shoot.

Here it is with its not-legal for hunting cousin in the background.

Thanks to everyone for the continued opinions, rest assured I am definitely not wasting the meat. I will probably hunt again this season on the same property and donate if I get another one.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Did it leave its spots fifty yards back in the bush?congrats
Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Size is subjective to heard structure and geogrophy.....50lbs in ny is a young of the year... and a late fawn ... who knows where your hunting.I prefer one vealer a year ... cus they are tasty .I do however make darn sure its a doe.On my piece of property we have alot of 3+ year old does .I look for mature does who are long in the face and a neck that is as long as the body... ears as long as my hand or perhaps as long as an average ear of corn,if that helps.I also look for a lone doe sugesting she has weined early or barren.Usually the mature doe comes in estrus first, breed first,fawn first ,wein first.Congrats on a fine tasty deer.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah maybe down south but not up here in the north. Little too small for me to be ok with it.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cowboy4513
Yeah maybe down south but not up here in the north. Little too small for me to be ok with it.
What's not ok about it?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Typical Buck

Not that theres anything wrong with it but around here youd be bugged so bad youd never do it again
Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Kinda late to be asking this question now.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.