Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what would you do?

Old 11-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default what would you do?

I leased this land for 2 grand shot a good meat buck with my bow and gun season is 2moro,we didnt discuss gun hunting in the lease and im not sure how he would take it (my boss) but if i ask and he says no im stuck going to public land with my niece so im thinking just not ask and go that way i know im not putting my niece in danger on public grounds during gun season i did pay 2 grand i feel that i should be able to take my niece to a safe area what would you all do?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Dude if you paid 2K to lease land to hunt on. I assume when you spoke, it was for Hunting ? If he didn't specifically state NO guns then I think it's a green light. Usually when you pay that kind a money, you have something in writing.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:47 AM
Spike

If he is in any way under the impression that you were NOT going to use firearms, then the ethical thing to do is ask. Even though you paid, hunting his land is still a privelege, not a right. And i'm sure if you discuss your safety concerns with him, he will be reasonable. This is especially sensitive because he's your boss.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

You paid two grand to hunt... One season?!?

If he never said archery only, I wouldnt bother him by asking. You paid two thousand dollars; hunt the whole season. you paid for a lease, he's not going to have you arrested for trespassing.

You could always just mention in conversation that youll be taking your niece with you this weekend. Let's him know you're gun hunting it, without offering him the chance to say no. If he is really opposed to gun hunting, he'll speak up on his own.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:39 AM
Typical Buck

I would talk to him and see what he says. Thing is YOU paid to hunt the property and never discussed (I assume) taking your neice or anyone else with you on the land. If he says he doesn't want anyone else hunting with you then your out of luck, but never hurts to ask.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:28 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

First check the lease agreement. Then, best to ask, considering it might put you in a pickle at your job. Better not to lease from your boss.

If it were me, I would be more worried on how I was going to explain spending $2000 for leasing hunting land to my wife!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

You handed over $2,000 and didn't have clear hunting lease agreements set in writing?

How would I handle this? I wouldn't pay $2,000 to hunt without all the ins and outs specifically in writing. Foolish....
Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

Ok, what exactly are you worried about??? Yes you mentioned that gun hunting wasnt mentioned in the deal when this was set up and it was for "hunting", though I would guess this is strictly for deer hunting. Not rabbit, turkey, etc. Thats fine, and it is a gray area that this is for hunting yet gun hunting wasnt mentioned. You should always get any lease or sale in writing so stuff like this doesnt come up. Dont assume that you can gun hunt. If he doesnt like it and doesnt want it on his land, it could cut you off from hunting there in the future. The right thing to do is read anything you might have in writing regarding this lease that you and the owner set forth and go from there. If its vague, go talk to him. Let him know your intentions of gun hunting and see what he says, but most definitely let him know your intentions of taking your niece out with you. He agreed to let YOU lease his land and hunt it, not you and your friends and family. It can be an ugly legal battle if someone gets hurt on the land and they are not included in the lease agreement. Also remember, doesnt matter if your boss owns the land or someone else does, as an adult, you're doing the right thing in bringing this up and making it clear for you and him of what your intentions are and what his expectations are. It will go a long way to continue to hunt/lease the land. Regardless if you spent $2,000 for archery season or the entire hunting season, you dont want some gray issue to get you cut off from hunting there for the remainder of the lease, and he would be well within his rights to cut you off if you are doing something that wasnt agreed upon. To talk asap to him and get it cleared. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

ummmm just a thought ... if you have to ask ... you already have doubts....Make the call......I for one have never liked the code of "tis easier to ask forgivness than to beg permission."
Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Toss yer Niece in the truck, drive up to his place and have a talk.

Chance are you'll leave all set to take the little cutie huntin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.