Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Sister wants to go hunting but wants nothing to do with the aftermath >

Sister wants to go hunting but wants nothing to do with the aftermath

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sister wants to go hunting but wants nothing to do with the aftermath

Old 11-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dvalliere
Demonstrate, Assist/Advise, Delegate.

The first time, do it for her while she's watching and talk her through it.
The second time (and maybe 3rd), she does it but you're there to assist and advise as needed.
After that, it's her job to do it.

If your sister is a kid, the same pattern applies but with more understanding and perhaps a longer period of time to adjust.
That's a good methodology for teaching anything.

First time, demonstrate and let the student watch and ask questions.

Second time, they do it and you tell them exactly what to do.

Third time, they do it and you say as little as possible, just answering their questions.

By the fourth time they should have it all down. That's called "guided discovery." It is the most successful teaching method.

The other less successful teaching methods are --

- trial and error

- lecture and self discovery

- programmed instructions and self-teaching.

The student needs to WANT to learn however. You can only lead a horse to water can't make it drink.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Spike

Help her the first time and then she is on her own. After all, what happens after the kill is just as much a part of hunting as what happens before.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

I think if she never cleaned her own fish......
She aint gonna clean a deer
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

id show her the first time, help her the 2nd, after that id watch.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Spike

Default Photo hunting

I once had a Native American neighbor who loved hunting, but then after getting married he found out killing animals was frowned upon by his native religion, and more importantly his Native American bride. He mounted some kind of setup on his rifle that looked like a scope, and had crosshairs, but was actually a camera. It was connected to his trigger to take a picture when he pulled it. He then shot blanks out of gun to make it seem real. The idea is he can hunt down the animal, get it in the crosshairs, and pull the trigger, but instead of a mount on the wall he just gets a picture. I don't know if it was some kind of home made contraption, or where he would have gotten it, but I've never seen anything else like it. That would maybe intrigue someone who enjoys the thrill of the hunt, but not the mess. It certainly ain't my cup of tea, but it was pretty neat, and actually took incredible pictures.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

Walk her through it the first time but definitely don't let her get out of it completely! Make her get her hands dirty so she knows its not a nasty as people say it is. The first time I ever saw the inside of a deer was with a guy on speaker phone walking me through it... I got it done and she will too.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

lol .... bunch of hardasses...... My sons ... daughter.... wife... all watched then helped on the next one ... then they did there own ... my daughter i still help only because she lets me .. my wife can and will do her own ... but i do them for her if im there.My grandfather taught me that way, 3rd deer i was on my own ,and i did his and my uncles for years.I still do my own as my sons dont have time to hunt anymore.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Heeeeeeeeee

She's your -sister.

Err, can she cook !!!
Old 11-16-2012, 02:53 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Do the gutting, at least the first few times, but processing is up to her, unless all deer are part of a group kill and shared - then all, including sis, must help. If she can not handle wrapping meat, then perhaps hunting is not for her.

Where I grew up we ALL helped process, right down to the smallest child.