Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Sister wants to go hunting but wants nothing to do with the aftermath >

Sister wants to go hunting but wants nothing to do with the aftermath

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sister wants to go hunting but wants nothing to do with the aftermath

Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sister wants to go hunting but wants nothing to do with the aftermath

I'm excited that my sister wants to go hunting with me. I really hope she gets her first deer. I asked her what she's gonna do with the deer when she gets it, and she looked at me and didn't say anything. That's woman-speak for, "You're field dressing it. You're skinning it. You're butchering it."

I can allow that for the first time. No problem. But what if she likes hunting and decides to go again? Is there a point where I tell her that she needs to roll her sleeves up? Or is it chivalrous to do all the bloody work for the women?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

1 step at a time,
dont overload her with all the details at once
everyone at a different pace
at the same time dont spoil her with doing all the grunt work yourself,
maybe show her how to debone a part of the deer, just not the whole butchering process
Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Take her and have fun. Let her learn slowly. I started hunting with my dad at 8yrs old and killed several deer between then and 12yrs old and never cleaned one. He always took care of it for me and showed me slowly each time and year by year i learned more and more. At 13 i started cleaning them myself and now at 28 i clean all my dads if i can.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Spike

Hey there, KC huntress here. It really depends on why she didn't say anything. Does she understand what's involved? Maybe she thinks that you shoot it and then just throw it in the back of the truck and drive it to a locker where they do all the nasty stuff. Or maybe she understands that it has to be gutted in the field and is repulsed by the idea of it? Whatever the case may be, I can not begin to express how valuable it was for me to see the field dressing process before actually having to do it myself. I would recommend that she be right there at your elbow for the field dressing fun. Encourage her to ask any questions she has. If she's still repulsed by the process, then it's probably best to have someone else do it for her in future. It's just like anything else in life; if you hate to do it, you're not going to do a good job. And that means losing lots of really good eating meat!

Good luck to you and your sister on her first hunt!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

you kill it, you gut it!

I'd give her a hand the 1st time, or guide her slowly and surely, but that's her job!

If she refused to do it, game over, would never take her with me again.

if we were talking about a kid, or 12yo here etc... I could understand being more helpful, but I'd make them do as much as they could...

but if this is an adult sister... get to work sis!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

If she is really going to become a dedicated huntress, in time, she will come around. I am thinking that if she has never done this, she is scared that she will make a great big mess of everything, which is probably right. Be patient, and help her out.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Show her the first time or so, after that, it's "you shoot it, you take care of it."

I learned by watching a few times, then my grandpa walked me through the process, but made me do it.

Same thing with my younger cousin.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Always be more careful when you take an inexperienced person hunting with you.

One of the main causes of being shot or killed on a hunt is your inexperienced buddy swinging on game and thus swinging on you.

Gutting, skinning, and butchering -- I love it although often other hunters do not.

Just like cleaning a fish, only bigger and more messy.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Demonstrate, Assist/Advise, Delegate.

The first time, do it for her while she's watching and talk her through it.
The second time (and maybe 3rd), she does it but you're there to assist and advise as needed.
After that, it's her job to do it.

If your sister is a kid, the same pattern applies but with more understanding and perhaps a longer period of time to adjust.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

I can't believe all this touchy-feely crap. The first year, you do it all. After that, just smile and look at her. That is man speak for, "I'm going to go have a cold one. Let me know when you are done."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.