Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Should've had 1 down, I think? >

Should've had 1 down, I think?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should've had 1 down, I think?

Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Should've had 1 down, I think?

I'll try to give you the quick version...

buck chasing a doe comes through my area, hunting a new area, not even my stands, so perhaps that's some of the blame, but a busy year, new area and friends on the same area said just use our stands if you want, checked them out ahead of time to make sure secure etc... and wore a harness so no worries there.

so buck comes through, thought he was a bit too small at first, runs past me, had a shot at about 35yds or 40yds but had a super narrow shot window, and wasn't sure I wanted him, then he goes off and a minute later or 2 comes heading back this way, this time closer, like 20 yds, but moving pretty quickly, could've stopped him I suppose, but thought I'd move and shot off to my other side once he passed, which I do and he does, but there is no shot window at all.

Lesson of the story is, there's a lot to do to shoot a buck with a bow in my mind...

1. decide shooter or not
2. know the yardage, can't be judging yardage when you're looking through a peep hole...

3. shooting lanes are essential.
4. take the shot and at a moments notice, this buck gave me a shot for about 1/10th of a second I'd guess.

Big lesson learned I guess, and I feel more ready than ever to kill a buck with a bow.

I really didn't know he was a shooter til he was at the spot I need to shoot him at, and deciding he's a shooter and yardage while at full draw looking through a peep isn't the time.

I guess luck certainly helps... maybe next time I'll have better shooting lanes, more time, him posing for more than a 1/10th of a second, and know he's a shooter in advance.

btw he seemed to be a nice 10pt, probably 135-140"

I could get back out there, but the rut will probably have passed, but the season goes to Jan15th I think etc...
Old 11-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

You had one in range, that's fun. Don,t sweat it,keep plugging away.
Had a biggie sniff the tree i was in one year and never got a shot!
Its fun too. Sometimes it all goes right for the hunter.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

I couldn't begin to tell you how many past chances I have had. Either couldn't judge as a shooter fast enough. Couldn't get a good shot or couldn't even move due to eyes on me. That's the learning curve.

I would rather see a deer walk off than have a bad shot.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been there and done that.

Dont worry about it though, you know what happened and you can take precautions next time to make sure some of those things dont happen again(creating larger shooting lanes and making sure you get the yardage on all your shooting lanes).

Whats great to hear though is the fact that you had a shootable deer in front of you, one that you wanted, but you didnt take a chance on making a bad shot and restrained yourself. MANY MANY MANY hunters arent able to do that, good job!