HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Ever seen deer during a turkey roost? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/375113-ever-seen-deer-during-turkey-roost.html)

7.62NATO 11-09-2012 04:38 AM

Ever seen deer during a turkey roost?

I was hunting public land where I have only seen one lone turkey in the 4 seasons I have hunted it. Well yesterday was a different story. I was in a new (to me) area and saw two nice gobblers during the morning, and heard a flock off the in distance. I still-hunted the afternoon until I found what looked like a very nice ambush spot downwind of a scrape.

As the sun began to wane, I heard footsteps...LOTS of them (the leaves were as dry as could be). My heart began to pound and then...TURKEYS. A whole flock...25 birds strong at least. Very cool, but a disappointment. Now I have seen plenty of turkeys in other areas I have hunted, but I have never witnessed them going up to roost. Boy, what a bunch of RACKET! They are extremely loud and fickle. They'd pick a limb but that wouldn't be good enough, so they'd fly off to another, etc. And they take turns going up in pairs it seems, so it lasted for quite awhile.

So, I'm thinking that deer avoid turkey flocks around this time since it creates so much noise it overwhelms their senses. Has anyone seen deer around during a roost? I do think that a single deer came out after this was done, but my view into the area where I heard the deer was blocked.

P.S. Turkeys are crappy flyers. And I mean crappy. I can't tell you how many I saw them smack into big limbs on their way up! Hilarious!

deerslyer11 11-09-2012 05:13 AM

Ya know im glad you posted this. I had the same problem last week and i was wondering why i didnt see deer. It was a flock of 30 to 50 turkeys. They roosted 30 yards from my stand!!

rritchey sr. 11-09-2012 05:57 AM

turkey roosting

I have seen deer and turkey feeding together, but have not seen deer around a flock of turkey going to roost. I think it may because of all the racket and deer cannot hear possible danger approaching so the deer stay away from there.

Cypress32 11-09-2012 11:04 AM

If I was a deer I would feel safer with a few turkeys around since they have far better eyesight. I have seen gobblers 500 yards out in my field from my bathroom window. Went outside to get a better look with my Nikons and they spotted me and hauled ass. I have had Deer walk so close to me I could spit on them, look up at me, then keep walking. No wonder so many get hit by cars. They so blind cant even see a big ass truck coming.

7.62NATO 11-09-2012 04:54 PM

Yes but the deer don't make that correlation; that they can rely upon a turkey's superior eyesight to warn them of danger. I think they only know that the senses THEY rely upon are severely hampered with that sort of racket going on. Besides, a turkey's reaction to a threat isn't going to be much different than their going to roost since flight would occur in either case.