Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

18 Point non typical

Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Tell me that somehow, hunting a 30000 acre ranch in those 'Senderos' (sp.?) is not akin to fenced hunting. Those ranchers and directors know every buck on that ranch. Knows their habits probably better than that of their Spouses."

***You are kidding I hope! Tell me you're kidding, LOL! "Know every buck and their habits" on 30,000 acres of property that's thicker and stickier than you would ever believe any place could be is a statement that is is just plain false and not even in the ballpark. It's great to have an opinion on something, but it would sure be nice if opinions were backed up with some knowledge of what is being discussed to make that opinion more than hot air! How many of you on this thread that are dissing these larger fenced places in the thousands of acres have been in or even close to one in their lifetimes to be spouting some of the garbage that comes out when this is discussed? I have over at least 20+ years and it doesn't sound like any of the negative talkers have a clue about them! If you hunt an island that is several thousand acres in size and the animals can't get away, what is the difference if it's water or a fence surrounding that land? That happens up on some of the big islands in upper Lakes Michigan and Huron and it dang sure isn't like shooting cattle!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

Top Gun- Two square miles is not that big for deer I hunt properties over four miles apart and have the same bucks show up on both properties.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I won't argue that during the rut, but unless there is undue pressure in an area the core area of a buck is well under a square mile and many times 1/2 mile if he has the cover, feed, and does to service. The more open areas they inhabit, the more likely they are to use travel corridors to move miles like you're mentioning too!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-18-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

hard to tell body weight with a neck pic like that buds
Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Yeah

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
"Tell me that somehow, hunting a 30000 acre ranch in those 'Senderos' (sp.?) is not akin to fenced hunting. Those ranchers and directors know every buck on that ranch. Knows their habits probably better than that of their Spouses."

***You are kidding I hope! Tell me you're kidding, LOL! "Know every buck and their habits" on 30,000 acres of property that's thicker and stickier than you would ever believe any place could be is a statement that is is just plain false and not even in the ballpark. It's great to have an opinion on something, but it would sure be nice if opinions were backed up with some knowledge of what is being discussed to make that opinion more than hot air! How many of you on this thread that are dissing these larger fenced places in the thousands of acres have been in or even close to one in their lifetimes to be spouting some of the garbage that comes out when this is discussed? I have over at least 20+ years and it doesn't sound like any of the negative talkers have a clue about them! If you hunt an island that is several thousand acres in size and the animals can't get away, what is the difference if it's water or a fence surrounding that land? That happens up on some of the big islands in upper Lakes Michigan and Huron and it dang sure isn't like shooting cattle!!!
Top, In short - I'm agreeing with you. As to Hot Air/Opinions, no sir. Empirical data here. Whilst not all Directors will advise they know every deer on their property, most high profile Ranches do make such boasts. True or untrue remains to be known but I am repeating what has been advised directly.

I take everything with a grain of salt pal but when someone makes a claim, you have two choices: either believe it or not. No reason for me to not believe a Rancher or Director that states such a thing. He Lives the Life. His Profession IS to know his property. Why shouldn't he know his Ranch.

Anyway, it don't much matter. I'll never make one of those hunts. Best I can make nowadays is hunting with my family in the Catskills for another 300# ghost.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

DD---I was actually referring to ranches that are leased out to guys that have money to burn and not ones that are selling top dollar hunts like you mentioned out on the market. I'm sure if you're talking about those places that you are spot on because they are selling a product when you come right down to it.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

TG, You stated the buck had no idea the fence was there, how do you know he didn't bed right next to it?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Give it a break will ya, LOL!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:06 AM
Spike

I need help I got a buck that's scrapping an hooking on my land an has been doing so for three years an the scraps an hookings have been in the same spots an there is not jus one or two there are 20 how can I kill him before someone else does
Old 01-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never heard the term "hookings" before unless you're talking about the limbs they rub and break over a scrape a lot of the time! If there's an active scrape or rub line where a mature buck is coming through I would set up a couple good stands back far enough from the line and where you can use the wind to get in and out. Many mature bucks like you 're probably talking about won't be through there during daylight hours unless the rut is really going. A big mistake people make is overhunting a stand(s) and stinking an area up. One guy on here that is taking a lot of big bucks feels the first time you're in a stand may be the best opportunity to nail that big one before he nails you and changes his pattern. I agree 100% with that theory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.