HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Passed a two small bucks this morning!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/375075-passed-two-small-bucks-morning.html)

deerslyer11 11-07-2012 07:55 PM

Passed a two small bucks this morning!!!

So in michigan most hunters go by its brown its down. I have shot my fair share of deer. But nothing big. My biggest is a 6 point with a 15 inch spread. Well i passed on a spike and 4 point this morning because there are a couple big bucks up at my property. It felt damn good to pass on them deer. I think as a hunter im taking a big step by passing on smaller deer. Sorry if you all think this is a pointless post, i just feel really good about it!

NebBuckHunter 11-07-2012 08:15 PM

Not pointless at all. I'm not a meat hunter so I pass on a lot! I don't care if I fill my tag. I just enjoy being out there!

elmoughler 11-08-2012 03:21 AM

I think this year will be my first to pass on a small buck if it walks by, but I need to see one first. However I will probably shoot a doe if it walks out not waiting for a buck. Gotta feed the family for me

UncleNorby 11-08-2012 03:44 AM

In Indiana we get one buck a year. If you shoot a small one you can't shoot the big one when he shows up.

early in 11-08-2012 03:48 AM

You should feel good about it! :hail:It's a good thing all the way around, because you're giving small bucks a chance to experience life more, and give them a chance to get bigger while you're giving yourself a chance at a larger buck. Win win situation as far as I'm concerned.

monoped 11-08-2012 06:09 AM

Stick to your goal! Nice to have a couple shooters to wait on.
Leaves you more study of deer and live decoys.
Matter of time.

deerslyer11 11-08-2012 09:07 AM

Thanks for the feed back!!
I already shot a doe for meat, so im waiting for a big bruiser to cruise through the woods only to get arrowed by me!!!!!

marshall9779 11-08-2012 09:26 AM

Just last year I started passing on smaller deer. I hunt exclusively on public land so if I shoot a buck I want it to be a good one and worth the long drag out. I might shoot a small one toward the end of the season if I haven't gotten a doe yet for meat. Already got a doe this year and have passed on 2 small bucks.

Cypress32 11-08-2012 10:44 AM

What do people mean by tags? I have to get doe tags and I get 4 per year but usually only fill 2 of them cause thats enough meat combined with the 1-2 bucks I also usually shoot. Do some states require you to buy tags for bucks as well? Also I think everyone should pass on any deer thats 6 points or less. Hell I have passed on three 8 pointers already cause even though they had wide spreads they just werent thick enough for my liking. If you are a meat hunter a doe tastes just as good and usually better than even an average sized buck and most places have too many as it is. My season is 4 months long I havent shot a deer in 6 weeks cause Im waiting for the right one to show up. I could have easily tagged out all 4 of my doe tags and killed 3-4 decent bucks. But why kill every deer on my farm? I guess people who shoot 2-4 pointers just have no patience.