Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Found these bean-shaped items around the esophagas/trachea of a deer: what are they? >

Found these bean-shaped items around the esophagas/trachea of a deer: what are they?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Found these bean-shaped items around the esophagas/trachea of a deer: what are they?

Old 11-06-2012, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Found these bean-shaped items around the esophagas/trachea of a deer: what are they?

I haven't seen these before...must have been 20 of them. Some larger than other. Cut them open and there wasn't really anything there...seemed like blood. Keep in mind these were on top of the muscle surrounding the food and windpipes, not coming out of them. I have only just started to butcher the neck to make neck roasts, so I am not sure if this is common or not.

Deer (also pictured) seemed very healthy to me.
Attached Thumbnails Found these bean-shaped items around the esophagas/trachea of a deer: what are they?-photo-2-7.jpg   Found these bean-shaped items around the esophagas/trachea of a deer: what are they?-photo-1-7.jpg  
Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Cancer. Proly a 2 pack a day smoker.

I would contact a biologist if you don't get some real answers
Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Spike

I'd be interested to know what you find out. I've never seen anything like that either
Old 11-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look like lymph nodes to me. Every deer has a bunch of them around the trachia.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Nice buck and I have no idea! That isnt normal we butcher all ours and thats alot weve never seen it
Old 11-07-2012, 06:51 AM
YH5
Spike

Those are lymph nodes. They are important for the immune system and can become enlarged when the body is fighting an infection.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you sure they are lymph nodes? I thought that at first, but because there were so many of them and they were so random, I wasn't sure. They also did not seem to be attached to anything. They just came right off.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

I would of said lymph nodes as well but not if there were 20 or more of them. I would contact your DNR and find out.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did some googling, Still think they're lymph nodes.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...2311--,00.html
Old 11-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Lymph nodes are typically embedded in fat. I always assued they were just pockets of blood. ,I've see them several times. Never really thought twice about them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.