Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunter Ethics

Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Buddy shot a button buck. While how i feel about it has no effect on what he kills i am delighted for him. He has missed seasons lying on his back. We hunt best we can but never will like before when we could walk and climb. still we are in the same boat with all hunters and know division over what weapon,what age and how many, an obvious weakness to exploit for those against our pursuit.
Energy wasted among ourselves better spent on how and what over all herd management goals mean. Here we went from quantity over quality to near a eradication policy in areas due to pressure from farm bureau and insurance companies. So many deer killed in two seasons herds of many hundreds in an area i hunted went to no tracks crossing half a mile of dirt road.
People were doing what those in charge of herd wanted and it hurt any goals for of private management on behalf of hunters. Only united hunters can or will change that. Now with further reductions from e.h.d. and no change in harvest allowance what's our 5 year plan?
Until herds well being secured our quarrels are trivial.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Spike

Oh sweet lord!!! If it will get you few people to shut the hell up. All my opinions, thoughts and ideals are ridiculous and they are minuscule in the shadow of your magnificent sportsmanship, that good enough. I was being civil and apologizing to the other hunters about the rash comment I made. Personally I don't give a crap whether you think I'm providing for my family or not with the addition of club dues. When I can fill a lay-down freezer full of meat and give my family something to eat on till next year when I go. No it's not the only thing we eat but it's a huge boost when we have it nonetheless. Also don't want me to judge people behind their back fine, by the way real quick that's hilarious because according to everyone here I'm not doing that. But, you apparently know more then me so keep up the good work 7.62 your doing swell. Oh and "one more thing" as you so eloquently put it i DO glass my bucks as too keep in accordance with club by-laws, if you have a problem with it go change your camouflage diapers.

Last edited by DuhartClub_Hunter; 11-07-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 AM
Spike

But you know I'm done with this crap. I simply stated my opinion whether or not you agree with it is no reason to cut off my head. I've seen the typical "agree or disagree" posts here before and just because I have an opinion over trophy management and saying let em grow a bit, people act like I punched a priest or something. But if this is what I can expect from speaking my mind...well, by all means you can have it. Oh wait, I forgot to do it in my "elitist" tone, damn I'm sorry 7.62 I didn't meet your expectations of an ethical hunter. Lemme go shoot everything in the woods and use the meat excuse to hide behind then I'll be ethical right? Go **** yourself I'll go find another forum to join that isn't harboring jackasses.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Spike

Oh and lest I forget you people are so judgmental, I even said that maybe I titled the thread wrong and I get blasted on something as STUPID as a thread title. You people say I'm judgmental and you do this, damn if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Ha ha, who needs reality TV, Jerry Springer, or talk radio when you can come on huntingnet.com & read stuff like this? Thanks for the entertainment guys.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh boy. You are the one that said people that don't hunt to your standards bother, annoy and aggravate you. If you simply wanted to talk management, you could have done so starting with a different tone. And people do. And their threads don't end up like this. People do, as you desired, post that they agree or disagree and why. But since you were so lucky and found a board that harbors jackasses, well.

I never said anything about you not being an ethical hunter. And I certainly never called you names. And you're talking to me about changing my diapers? Doesn't look like it takes much to get the best of you squirting all over the place.

With regard to hunting to provide for one's family, I'm simply saying that people that hunt with that as the number one goal don't pay money to hunt. They exceed in meat what they spent on hunting gear, etc. You pay club dues. Nothing wrong with that. And you make some of it back in meat. Heck, maybe you make ALL of it back in meat. But I'm willing to bet you don't come out ahead in meat; i.e. you don't exceed what you spend in hunting costs (all gear, dues, tags, etc) in meat. If you do, then, my apologies.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

Ethics? where do I begin. original poster said it was unethical to shoot little bucks, except 1st bucks. Somebody else said he didn't understand sitting in a treestand waiting on a big deer. original poster took offence saying how dare you call me unethical for shooting only big buck, it doesnt matter what you shoot.

Honestly, what side are you on? you just started this whole s**t storm and you countradicted yourself, a few times. And where did you get your degree from? Cause I will bet, you cannot produce anything that ever says "it is unethical to shoot young bucks"

Why you ask, because they have nothing to do with each other. Plain and Simple.

And to the D**K that wants to punch someone in the mouth over a 4pt. yep your a a$$hole
Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Spike

Duhart Club hunter. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and you have had yours. Most the time people get ballsy (if that is even a word) because they are not face to face. So others blasting away at you and everyone else here in this forum is there way of spreading their opinions as well. Do your thing and harvest what you like. I am fortunate enough to have a samll 50 acre lot where I can manage the deer a little. We have taken more does off the property and taken almost as many scrub bucks off the proerty in an attempt to grow healthier and bigger doe and bucks. So far it has seem to have worked. My largest deer in 26 years of hunting was an 8 I took last year. Although this year I took my first deer with a bow and it happened to be a perfect 4 pt. I could have let him walk, but why? I was fortunate enough to have him in front of me and I took the opprotunity. Hunters should be thankful for what is presented to them. If you have ever tried to hunt public land, you know that it is seldom you see a deer let alone are able to choose what you take. At the end of the day, being in the woods and not behind a desk is rewarding. To be able to eat a fine venison roast provided to you by nature and not filled with chemicals, antibiotics and who knows what else the government approves for our local beef producers, is a blessing as well. Let's all just be thankful that we are here to be able to hunt. To many have never made it home and cannot!
"Let's Roll!" -Todd Beamer 9/11
Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Spike

Cypress 32, Are you seriuos? You want to punch someone over shooting a 4 pt.? I would like to know why you feel and think that way. What if a hunter only has access to public land? what if you are putting meat on the table? I had a friend who was laid off for a year and when hunting season came around it really helped out. He even boiled down all of the stuff that most people don't cut off a deer and canned dog food for his two dogs. What does it matter if its a 4 pt., a 6 pt., or a 20 pt.??? The trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I myself hunted for 16 years before I even got my first deer. Keep in mind that you don't know what other peoples stories are and what went on behind their decision to take a deer. You can assume, but you don't know unless you ask.

Last edited by cpljbuck; 11-08-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

It isn't any hunters responsibility or obligation to let smaller bucks go so they can grow and later be shot by another hunter who seeks big bucks. That is a ridiculous viewpoint in my opinion.

Big bucks develop often enough in the "open market" where people have been shooting what they want to shoot.

BTW - I can't see any angle that this would be an ethical issue. Ethics is basically doing the right things or the wrong things and there is no right or wrong in this issue.

Last edited by uncle matt; 11-08-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.