Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Can you hunt deer with a 16 gauge? >

Can you hunt deer with a 16 gauge?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can you hunt deer with a 16 gauge?

Old 11-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Spike

Default Can you hunt deer with a 16 gauge?

I only have a .22 and a 16 gauge shotgun to hunt with (I also have a Mosin-Nagant but that thing must be warped because every shot is different ).

Anyway, I was wondering if it possible to hunt deer with a 16 gauge? I mean, you can hunt anything with a 16 gauge but some things its not really a good choice I guess haha.

Is it too small and underpowered to effectively and ethically kill a deer? And if I were to use it, would it be better with a slug or with buckshot? This is my first season hunting, and I've been hunting squirrels but sort of have an itching to try deer hunting, but if it's a bad idea to try it out with this gun than I'll hold off until I'm better armed next season.

Thanks for the advice as usual all, much appreciated
Old 11-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slugs. Shoot them and see where they shoot. A 16 will hammer a deer or bear. Keep em at 50 yards if you can hit a decent group. 100 if it will group that far.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

Well a slug for deer would be more effective but a 16 gauge is bigger than a 20 gauge and smaller than a 12 so no its not under-powered by any stretch.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

It has plenty of power . Like previously stated stronger then a 20 gauge weaker then a 12. You would want to shoot slugs.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Spike

Well that's good to hear! Might take it out and give it a go. Ive got a box of 5 slugs: 2 3/4 IN 4/5 OZ. These should do the trick?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Josh93
Well that's good to hear! Might take it out and give it a go. Ive got a box of 5 slugs: 2 3/4 IN 4/5 OZ. These should do the trick?
You may have to shoot a few different brands to see what your gun likes or you may fine good accuracy with the ones you have. What model gun is it and does it have a fixed choke or a interchangable choke system? If it has a fixed choke what choke is it? Modified, Improved Cylinder, etc?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by chaded
You may have to shoot a few different brands to see what your gun likes or you may fine good accuracy with the ones you have. What model gun is it and does it have a fixed choke or a interchangable choke system? If it has a fixed choke what choke is it? Modified, Improved Cylinder, etc?
To be honest I'm not sure about the choke. Its an old single shot Savage. I bought it about 2 years ago for 30$ basically because it was 30$, but it ended up being my favorite gun to shoot and I have shot it quite a bit. I believe its from the 50's
Old 11-06-2012, 03:16 AM
Typical Buck

I started hunting with a JC Higgins 16 ga bolt action my grandpa gave me. It will do the job. I loved that gun but now it just sits in the gun safe since the firing pin is broke and I can't find anyone to fix it for a decent price.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

I killed my first 5 deer with the 16 ga. the Jc higgins bolt action..........
Old 11-06-2012, 04:18 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MUZZY 100
I killed my first 5 deer with the 16 ga. the Jc higgins bolt action..........
Those are fun guns aren't they

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.