HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   I keep getting busted!!! (Needs some advice) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/374845-i-keep-getting-busted-needs-some-advice.html)

redkid 11-04-2012 02:24 PM

I keep getting busted!!! (Needs some advice)

My ground blind is about 30 yards from the wood line. My corn pile is 20 yards in front of me, (I'm using a bow). I use scent eliminator . Each time I go sit, there is a deer that will come up a trail behind me to the left. Each time the deer comes before light, but every time the deer will get close an start blowing. Once it blows, it turns around. And sure enough I won't see anything the rest of the hunt. I just got a 10ft ladder stand today. I am gonna get up in it. And see if that will help me stop getting busted. Does anyone have any advice to what I should do?

MZS 11-04-2012 02:38 PM

The best scent, many say, is no scent. But in your case, an effective cover scent would be your bait. Store your clothes over your bait. Make sure your clothes are washed in scent-free detergent and hung out to dry. A shower before hunting with a scent-free soap (like hunters soap or Ivory scent-free) and no shampoos or deodorants helps a lot. Spray your clothes with scent-killer type spray. (not a cover scent, but odorless). Position your blind so deer will not likely travel behind you. Then hunt so the bait is upwind from you and only hunt only on those days. I have tried Evercalm cover scent and had success with this as well, but I also had success without it following in all the guidelines just discussed. Keep well concealed too - sudden movement detected puts the deer on super-alert. Remember that a deer downwind from you (in a ground blind) will nearly always spook at some point regardless of what you do, so avoid that situation. Truthfully, you might want to try a different spot for the rest of this season - once you get busted a time or two the deer will always be looking for you and on high alert in that area.

*twodogs* 11-04-2012 04:28 PM

Seems to me you are not playing the wind. Determine the prevailing winds and set accordingly, but remember, deer will circle into the wind checking scent as they approach so get down wind from the trail them come from and don't hunt this stand when the winds are not in your favor. Get in a tree up 20 ft minimum would be a much better bet than cover scents, sprays and the like IMO.

monoped 11-04-2012 04:30 PM

Part of the chess game,each time you repeat an activity in an area there is risk of detection.
You been detected. Multiple sites hunted when wind conditions allow their use helps. Approaching bait with great suspicion learned pretty quick. Some ideas,hunt route to bait leaving deer alone and suspicious there. Some will down wind it quite a ways to check it (for us),as well as bucks checking for does. When i felt i was patterned and had to hunt same area i would hunt opposite end of day than previous. Lately been hunting between bedding and feeding areas with success.