Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Do deer follow daylight savings? >

Do deer follow daylight savings?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do deer follow daylight savings?

Old 11-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do deer follow daylight savings?

I have been trying to get a big deer that I have been seeing around the same time every night. Hes always on my cam from 6:20-7:00 PM every night for the last week right before the sun goes down. I have shot at him twice but it was a 375 yard shot, near dark, and my scope is horrible so naturally I missed both times. Hes still on my cams so I havent run him out of the area but now I have a serious problem. If the only time hes out is during those hours what do I do come tomorrow night once we lose an hour of daylight? Do deer also adjust their habits to the time change or did I miss my chance at that deer?

I got a new scope and moved a stand to within 125 yards of him today. I just hope it wasnt too late
Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Keep in mind that you are not losing an hour of daylight. Each day in the fall, the sun comes up about one minute later per day and sets about one minute earlier per day. Focus more on how many minutes left in shooting time that it comes out, rather than the time of day.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Spike

Since we lose an hour of day-lite in the evening, we gain an hour of lite in the morning; so some bucks will be moving around earlier in the morning. My uncle works on the county road crew & he's gonna see if he can get a deer-crossing sign put up just before the edge of the woods where i hunt......
Old 11-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

I don't even know how to respond to this question really.
First I guess I need to know what method you think the deer use to tell time. The rich deer have cell phones and the times on their phones will change automatically. Now the poorer deer in the woods probably have an older watch that doesn't change automatically so they probably don't follow DST. Unless they happen to catch the news this weekend and are reminded to set their watches back an hour.

Needless to say I am guessing that the deer will not pay any attention to daylight savings time. If you are consistently getting pictures of the deer 1/2 hour before dark (no matter what time that is where you are) then he will likely still be moving at the same time of day, half hour before dark.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lol at flyinglowe

But did you ever think of how hard it is on those poor deer that have watches that they have to manually turn back and ahead once each year?

I've seen deer do a lot of things in the woods. Rubbing, scraping, peeing in scrapes, humping and fighting. But the funniest by far is when they are trying to pull little stem out on their old Timex with their hooves. It takes them hours and hours. Heck once they do get the stem out they still have to turn it.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

The sunrise sunset doesn't actually change.... only our clocks lol.... he'll be out before dark still.
-Jake
Old 11-04-2012, 04:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea, but not the deer in Arizona. Arizona don't observe DST.

C. Davis
Old 11-04-2012, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

Indiana just started observing DST a few years ago. Didn't change much for me because the time "falls back" before firearms season starts so the sunrises at the same time of day (approximately) each winter. Bow hunters have to adjust what time they set their alarms for/
Old 11-04-2012, 08:05 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

They will eat at the same "relative" time with respect to sunset/sunup. The exception will be this Tuesday - expect some to be arriving late for feeding cause they will be voting.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seriously?????????????????????

C'Mon Man!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.