HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Need help with long range shooting. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/374741-need-help-long-range-shooting.html)

thomasmgp 11-02-2012 05:15 AM

Need help with long range shooting.

My accountant has a nice stand in the middle of my farm that can see both my big fields and pretty much every tree line. This one stand basically sees what 3 of my stands can. Its also great because you can hunt it every day and night and never get the deer spooky cause you arent driving next to a tree line or through the woods.

Only problem is its 600 yards to the pines on my left and another 600 to the tree line on my right and 400 yards to the dam of my duck impoundment to the front and thats where all the deer are. He can drop deer at those distances all day and refuses to shoot anything thats closer than 300 yards. I want to learn how to shoot like that. I mean any yahoo can hit a deer at 100 yards but I want to add a challenge to my hunts.

I bought a decent range finder but most only seem to work up to 400 yards. How do you distance a deer past that? I know snipers distance random crap in their shooting lanes so they know how far out their targets are but theres not much in a plowed field. Also Im shooting a .243 which Im pretty sure wont be very effective at 400+ yards so I might switch to my .270. Also what are some decent scopes? Not looking to spend over $1000 but would prefer a reticle with either milidots or something that will let me adjust my aim up according to how far out the deer are.

slowr1der 11-02-2012 05:47 AM

Well, many quality rangefinders will range quite a bit further than 400 yards. So if you want to rely on a simple solution, you may want to upgrade your rangefinder.

If you don't care about using a rangefinder, you can range items with a mildot reticle. You have to know the approximate size of what are ranging, and that can tell you how far it is.
Here is a site I found quickly on Google that explains it more in depth. http://www.mil-dot.com/articles/the-mildot-reticle

It also helps to have a ballistics calculator on a smartphone or tablet. You can do without this, but it is much easier to just plug in the numbers than it is to do it by hand. You also will need to practice reading the wind and getting good at it. Once you know the yardage, the wind speed and direction, and information about the load you are shooting, you can punch it into a ballistics calculator and it will tell you where to adjust your scope.

As for a scope, this is an important part. A $1000 scope won't make a bad shooting a good shot at 500+ yards, but a $100 scope will seriously hinder a good shooter. For long range shooting, you will need a scope that tracks true and is repeatable. This ules out many of the cheaper popular scopes. I also am a fan of Mil/Mil scopes. This means the turrets adjust in mils to match the reticle instead of 1/4" clicks. About the best scope you can get for the money in my opinion is the SWFA SS scopes. You can get a fixed power scope in 10x,16x, or 20x for right around $300-400 from them. IMO these are great scopes, but not what you would want for hunting as I believe even 10x is too much at times.

Then they offer their SWFA SS 3-9x42 scope which is a great scope for $600. I personally like more magnification in many situations if shooting a lot of long range, but this scope is a good comprise if you plan to use this rifle both close range and long range. After trying this and a 5-20x50 from them, I ended up sticking with one of these on my hunting rifle, but most of my shots are 500 yards and under.

They also offer a 5-20x50 for $1500 if you need more power. This is great imo for long range shooting only, but if you plan to hunt at any ranges 50 yards and under, the FOV is too small at 5x on this scope imo.

Another good brand of scopes for a reasonable cost is the Vortex Viper PST's. They have several good options as well.

Once you step over the $1000 mark, there is Nightforce which is always a great choice.

For information on long range shooting, and equipment check out SnipersHide.com

I'm not saying there isn't good information on here, but there is a ton more of it on Snipers Hide.

Mojotex 11-02-2012 06:37 AM

Holding a tight group in the 400-600 yard range are difficult to say the least. A rifle/ammo combination that will do 1 MOA ... your looking at a 4" +/- group at 400 yards and 6" +/- group at 600 yards. Realize that 1 MOA is 1/60 of 1 degree. You wiggle another 1/60 of 1 deg. and you are now off target at 600 yards by about a foot !

To become competent at these distances, unless you are truly gifted, will take a lot of quality practice. At 400-600 yards you can see the cross hairs wiggle with every heart beat. A lousy trigger does not help !

In the field, with usually only a fair rest, the excitement, the time contraints to make the shot, possibly a significant cross wind, tiny twigs that you cannot detect at that distance, etc. All that comes into play. So practice a bunch. Not to mention knowing the precise trajectory of your particular round.

As mentioned the ability to hit tight at 400-600 yards is enhanced by a good scope, but that in and of itself is not a short cut to accuracy. A high quality scope will defin itely help with resolution, crispness, and low light target acquistion. Plus it will remain exceptionally true despite what power setting you are using. In my book, it is a must to have a quality scope, and especially if you are going to try to manage long distance shooting.

You stated that you were not looking at dropping over $1000 on a scope. With that as your top end limit you can find a good scope for sure.

thomasmgp 11-02-2012 07:27 AM

Gotta learn real fast cause this guy is only coming out in view of that stand I was talking about and my camera was close to 400 yards from the stand. Obviously I dont want to miss

nchawkeye 11-02-2012 08:04 AM

You need to talk to RidgeRunner on here, he is the long range expert...

Frankly, I prefer my shots inside 250 or so...Once it starts getting dark
it's dang tough to see out there at 500 yards...

slowr1der 11-02-2012 08:05 AM

If you are trying to learn so you can shoot him in the next week or two you should probably abandon the idea and work on getting in closer for a shot.

redgreen 11-02-2012 08:19 AM

Just because you have a quality scope, doesn't mean that the rifle is up to the task. I have owned many that were minute of barn, and have done much of my hunting with sillouette rifles. I bed my actions, tailor my loads for each rifle, and spent many hours shooting at long range. I am too old for taking the chance on a maybe shot and having to track a wounded animal. Not trying to disuade you on longer ranges. Spend time at the bench shooting at the distances that you plan on shooting. If you cannot cover your groups with your hand at 500 yards, DON"T SHOOT at the animal.

Night Crawler 11-02-2012 08:42 AM

I would recommend you get a 308 Rem 700. With a Leopold. Mark4 scope. 270 you can forget over 300 yd shot. To much drop

slowr1der 11-02-2012 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Night Crawler (Post 3999421)
I would recommend you get a 308 Rem 700. With a Leopold. Mark4 scope. 270 you can forget over 300 yd shot. To much drop

Not to be rude, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

slowr1der 11-02-2012 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by redgreen (Post 3999390)
Just because you have a quality scope, doesn't mean that the rifle is up to the task. I have owned many that were minute of barn, and have done much of my hunting with sillouette rifles. I bed my actions, tailor my loads for each rifle, and spent many hours shooting at long range. I am too old for taking the chance on a maybe shot and having to track a wounded animal. Not trying to disuade you on longer ranges. Spend time at the bench shooting at the distances that you plan on shooting. If you cannot cover your groups with your hand at 500 yards, DON"T SHOOT at the animal.

This is a very good point. I didn't mention this. because I had assumed since he mentioned a rifle he had a capable rifle, but that may not be the case.

BIG TUNA 11-02-2012 12:31 PM

Spend your money on a good Buck decoy to bring the deer closer to shooting range. That would be your best chance on getting a closer, ethical shot. Why shoot at a dot in the distance when you can do an up-close and personal shot through the heart.

thomasmgp 11-02-2012 04:57 PM

Saw that buck again tonight. He comes out of the woods and stands by the same pine sapling that hes rubbed the hell out of near a large corn pile and doesnt move. Does this mean Im probably going to keep seeing him and getting closer shouldnt be a problem?

Tomorrow Im having a stand moved across my farm and put up 125 yards away. Seen him 4 nights now he just comes out of the woods around the same time every night, goes to that sapling and just stands there. Never seen a deer do that before I assume hes waiting for some does to go feed on the corn I put out to see if one is smelling right?

nchawkeye 11-02-2012 05:33 PM

That's what climbers are for!!!

blackhawk_archery 11-02-2012 05:55 PM

you have a rifle and you think you have to be 600 yards away lol are you stoned.get on the ground 300 yards away you dont need a dang stand rifle hunting.

slowr1der 11-02-2012 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 3999666)

+2. This is the perfect time to invest in a climber.

thomasmgp 11-03-2012 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 3999666)

Always hunt by myself and I know the ones today are a lot safer than the first one I got 15 years ago but I still wont use one. Also I have a lightweight stand that you can take done and put up in 10 minutes but theres no trees near that big buck suitable. So a climber wouldnt work anyways.

nchawkeye 11-03-2012 02:37 AM

Dang, what did you guys do down there in South Carolina, cut down all your pine trees???

Up here in NC, that's what we use them for!!! :)

nchawkeye 11-03-2012 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery (Post 3999678)
you have a rifle and you think you have to be 600 yards away lol are you stoned.get on the ground 300 yards away you dont need a dang stand rifle hunting.

Ever hunted over a soybean field????? :)

flyinlowe 11-04-2012 05:30 AM

Hunt with a slug gun and then try to get within 100 yards of him. Any yahoo can get within 600 yards of a big buck.

Mojotex 11-05-2012 09:06 AM

Not to start a pi$$ing contest here but I beg to differ with Night Crawler. I am a huge fan of the 308 Win. this is my hunting cartridge of choice for medium game. However the 270 Win. is especially suited for medium game and performs exceptionally well in the field with the 130 gr. bullet wt., with most factory loads pushing it at about 3100 fps +/- at the muzzle. Compare this with a typical 7 mm Rem. Magnum, 140 gr. bullet set-up .... factory loads are at about 3200 fps at the muzzle. Run any ballistics programs and you'll see that zeroed at 200 yards, the so called "drop" of these two are practically identical at 400 - 500 yards, with only about 1" difference. The 308 Win. which really performs well with 165 gr. bullets .... the muzzle velocity of a typical factory load is about 2750 fps +/-. Does not take a physics major to see right off the bat that zeroed at 200 yards, that the "drop" of this 308 Win. load is more than either of the above.

Bocajnala 11-05-2012 09:12 AM

Get closer to this buck. Start working your way to longer ranges in the off season. Now is not the time to "learn" to shoot 600 yards. The guys that shoot long have been doing it a long time. I'm at 500 currently for my limit, and there's been a lot of time invested to get to that range. If you know where this deer is coming from and going to, set up closer. You don't gotta do it from a stand. They are just as dead when you shoot them from the ground. Good luck!
-Jake

Mojotex 11-05-2012 09:24 AM

Night Crawler .... The typical 270 Win. hunting round using a 130 gr. bullet (which is a great choice for medium game) does about 3100 fps at the muzzle. Zeroed at 200 yards typical drop at 400 yards is about 17" and about 36" at 500 yards.

A typical 308 Win. hunting round using a 165 gr. bullet (which is a popular hunting round) does about 2750 +/- at the muzzle. Zeroed at 200 yards the drop at 400 yards is about 24" and 500 yards is about 48". Even if you back up the 308 Win. bullet weight to 130 gr. you do not gain enough muzzle velocity to make that much difference, besides the down range lethal performance of the 165 gr. bullet out of a 308 Win. has been long proven.

Either round is deadly on deer at thiese ranges. It is just a matter of of managing the drop.