HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Over-hyped and Overrated? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/374703-over-hyped-overrated.html)

Valentine 11-05-2012 01:55 AM

What every young hunter should do

Nothing wrong with over-rating and over-hyping hunting. But every young hunter should go to a big box store and look at all the items available to the hunter, and realize they'll only be able to afford some of them in a lifetime of hunting.

ihookem1 11-05-2012 05:26 PM

I hate the stuff. For every time it works it screws me up 10 times. I was in northern Wisconsin way back on public chunck of land Saturday. I see this deer so I grunted. Half hour later it comes grazing. An old doe. 5 yrs for sure. It didn't have a care in the world till it got down wind of my doe in heat bottle. From then on it was stomping feet, quick head turns, and looking around all nervous. By the time I pulled back my bow it takes off snorting. I don't know if I would have gotten the deer but that stupid doe in heat bottle put the hurt on me. Ironically if it happened to be a buck when I grunted and it came in I would have thought it worked. I won't use it at all anymore. Wash your hair, arm pits and butt and you will be better served.

sevi316 11-05-2012 07:07 PM

The key is knowing WHEN and HOW to use stuff... I have been hunting for almost 10 years now and have been studying hunting and learning every year. In the past 3 years I have put down 2 wall hangers. They will keep getting my money because I have seen them work.

Tundra10 11-05-2012 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by sevi316 (Post 4001165)
The key is knowing WHEN and HOW to use stuff... I have been hunting for almost 10 years now and have been studying hunting and learning every year.

No offense but 10 yrs while commendable aint jack. Keep paying for the hype and keep us posted on yer success.

Good luck this year.

salukipv1 11-06-2012 08:37 AM

hope I'm not giving away my secret here...

but I'm sold on washing my clothes in scent free wash/no UV brightners etc...

and using scent killer spray before I go out...

those 2 I'll take over "scent lok" any day!

as for cover scents and attractants, doe pee, etc... I'm not into that stuff, more hassle than production... and I've never seen any success from it either.

I'm probably in a high doe area.... and believe in part that doe estrus works less well when bucks have many does to choose from vs. none/very little, if you were in a high buck to doe ratio area I'm sure doe estrus would work better, as would calls etc....

I always have a grunt tube...

casketlottery 11-06-2012 09:17 AM

Calls and rattling do work. I've been a avid bowhunter for 23 years and can honestly say that i would have never brought in the bucks i have from just sitting in the stand. With a drought of property to hunt i've settled for small parcels that require calls and rattling to attract the bucks from long range to my area(during pre and rut only) Have i screwed myself by calling and rattling (yes) but for the times I did it right there was success. I use deer urine for mainly scent cover. Figure it this way... If its authentic whitetail urine it will do you no harm and only benefit you because it symbolizes traffic. I've called bucks in from hundreds of yards away that had no intentions of heading my way. Use a call and rattle but like everything in life use discretion.

Ky Bob 11-06-2012 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by salukipv1 (Post 4001435)
hope I'm not giving away my secret here...

but I'm sold on washing my clothes in scent free wash/no UV brightners etc...

and using scent killer spray before I go out...

those 2 I'll take over "scent lok" any day!

Same here!! Plus hunt with the wind in your favor.

ADVWannabee 11-07-2012 08:43 AM

My brother was deer hunting last week and used the scent killer spray. A fox came along and when it got to the trail my brother came in on it stopped and started looking around. Apparently it smelled where he walked in.

I heard one time that people smell vegetable soup and deer smell peas, carrots, corn, tomatoes, etc. I don't believe for a second that any spray or cover scent works.