Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
A better alternative to aftermarket treestand straps >

A better alternative to aftermarket treestand straps

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A better alternative to aftermarket treestand straps

Old 11-01-2012, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A better alternative to aftermarket treestand straps

At least for Summit climbers. I'm not familiar with the types of backpack straps other companies put on their stands.

Got my first treestand last season..Summit Viper SD. When researching, everyone said to dump the stock backpack straps and get aftermarket ones with padding. I didn't have time to mess with that last season, but could see why people said to get aftermarket straps since the Summit straps had no padding.

In preparation for this season, I started researching aftermarket straps. The common complaint in reading reviews is that the straps would sometimes start to slip down the shoulder, etc, and people wanted a crosslock strap to go across the chest. Another common complaint was that they were hard to adjust on the fly. I thought that was weird since I never had that issue with my Summit straps slipping and they were very easy to adjust. But then I realized what the issue was: the after market straps are two distinct straps, completely separate from one another, while the Summit strap is actually a single piece (joined at the top) that fastens independently at the bottom of the stand.

So I decided the best solution was to find strap pads for my existing straps. Found some and they work great! Very comfortable and they stay where I need them to. Shipping was fast from these folks and CHEAP (some really like to rip you off with the shipping).

http://www.gearbunker.com/Deluxe-Sho...LLE_p_146.html

Attaching pics of the pads on my existing straps.
Attached Thumbnails A better alternative to aftermarket treestand straps-photo-1-6.jpg   A better alternative to aftermarket treestand straps-photo-2-6.jpg  
Old 11-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah the stock straps are certainly junk. I put the Molle II straps with quick disconnect on my Viper SD. There is a world of difference.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Spike

Thanks for the link to the padding, ordered two...
Old 11-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chaded
Yeah the stock straps are certainly junk. I put the Molle II straps with quick disconnect on my Viper SD. There is a world of difference.

My point is that the straps are actually not junk; they're just not padded. That's really the only complaint with the Summit straps. I found a lot of complaints when reading reviews for other aftermarket straps.

The MOLLE IIs are good though, I agree. And they have the crosslock strap which solves a of the issues people have with aftermarket straps.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah I took that picture when I first put them on but I have the straps that go out from sides and keep the shoulder straps from shifting. I also like the quick disconnect buckles along with the straps that goes across your chest that you can tighten. Do you get 2 of those straps for $9.98? I got my set-up for $23 brand new shipped to my door.