Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ethics or Obeying the law? What's your choice in this situation... >

Ethics or Obeying the law? What's your choice in this situation...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ethics or Obeying the law? What's your choice in this situation...

Old 10-31-2012, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do the right thing. End its suffering
Old 11-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by elmoughler
I agree. I never go to the woods without my cell phone. Sometimes I wonder if people ask these questions to try and justify their own actions once they get the answer they want.

So did you shoot the deer and take it or did you leave it go?
After you shot the deer, if you did, did you contact your local CO and notify them?

Around these parts a cell phone signal is a rare thing.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Typical Buck

I can't stand seeing an animal suffer. I walked up on a doe out in the woods one afternoon (The subject of this post was about my situation). She clearly had both back legs paralyzed. I had a digger with me because I was ginseng hunting. I sat there looking at her for a good fifteen minutes, trying to make up my mind on what to do. I finally decided to use the digger on her. Now my digger is really heavy and sharp so it wouldn't take much to put her down. I walked up to her and she was trying to crawl away =[... I took another step towards her and she let out a TERRIBLE scream. She was calling for help. I heard something up the hill and looked. 3 adult deer were barreling down the hill at me. Quickly I changed my mind about killing her. And of course I took off running away. That was the last thing I needed. I feel bad for her though. There is no way she could have made it long after I left. Poor girl =\ Anyone who lets an animal suffer is a bad person in my books. Sometimes ethics need to be placed above the law. Obeying the law 100% of the time is good to do, but it isn't always the right thing to do. At some point a situation could present itself where breaking the law is the best option. Laws are by no means foolproof.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by chrisvie13
There is nothing wrong with putting down a suffering animal. Police officers do it year round when they get hit by cars in my area. Does anyone know a person that has gotten in trouble for putting down a wounded animal?
We hit a doe one night and hurt it. It was just walking around in circles in front of the car. We called a policeman who came out to end the deer's misery. He shot at it twelve times and the deer kept walking in a circle. Still alive and suffering.

We told him that we had a shotgun in the car and asked him if he wanted us to go ahead and kill it with our gun and he said go ahead. One shot and the doe died.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bristowboy_20
Around these parts a cell phone signal is a rare thing.
Where at in Southern IN are you? I have family that lives down that way. I agree with putting down an animal's suffering but some people use that excuse to take a deer without a tag. Happens way too often around here.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

We hit a doe one night and hurt it. It was just walking around in circles in front of the car. We called a policeman who came out to end the deer's misery. He shot at it twelve times and the deer kept walking in a circle. Still alive and suffering.
Either a dimwit or not a hunter, poor deer.

Old but true, if ya won't something done right do it yerself.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Morals and law gray area can overlap... morals are individual... laws, well, are laws... to some breaking the law is more immoral that putting the animal down... to others, to allow continued suffering is wrong... to each his own...
Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

I sat there looking at her for a good fifteen minutes, trying to make up my mind on what to do. I finally decided to use the digger on her.
Anyone who lets an animal suffer is a bad person in my books.
Do you see the irony in the contrast between these two quotes?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow! Put it down, regardless ???

Here there is a 3 buck limit. One has to be a 8 pt. So I have filled my buck quota .... I come across said deer. It is a buck. I put it down. Out steps Mr. Warden. If he wants to I am looking at losing my rifle, ATV, truck, $1000 fine and loss of hunting license for 3 calendar years. You are talking a loss of $30K plus .... ain't happening. Sorry.

And do not shake your head ... never happen to you. Three seasons ago while I was dragging out a decent buck, Ms. Game Warden popped out of no where and checked me for license, buck record and land owner permisison documentation. She was very professional and spot on courteous, But I had the feeling I had better be legal !! I hunt on 3150 acres of privately owned land that I and 13 other guys lease. And I was about 2 miles from the camp and 500-600 yards off the nearest woods roads. And in 12 years of hunting this property this was the first time I had even heard of a Warden working around the area, much less seen one.

Now if I am not tagged out or it is a doe (which do not require a tag here), I dispatch the injured deer with not a moment's hesitation.